hard wood flooring

i have a dog and 2 kids. we are moving into a house with hard wood floors next week. we've always had carpet. i'm really nervous about getting DOG HAIR up because we have a hard enough time with carpet! ;) is swiffer good? swiffer vac? will a vacuum set on bare floor do much good?

thanks :)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• swiffer wet jet and sweeper work great i think they even have a pet hait one
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 4:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It's easier with hardwood, because it's a flat and slick surface. A swiftwer will work. A wet jet. Even a simple damp cloth will work.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We use our vacuum and the attachment but they have really good sucking power. We also use a microfiber cloth flat mop. Good luck, we have the fur balls rolling around our house all the dang time!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 4:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with pp's, vacuum everything up first, then a damp mop. I'm jealous, I would love to have no carpet!!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• First, you need to determine what type of hardwood floor it is. Our house is hardwood floors, but our floors are not sealed, they are waxed, which is a different type of cleaning than a sealed hardwood floor. Looking at the space between the board should tell you if it is sealed or not.

I use a swiffer dry mop and/or dyson with the floor attachment and my floor is fine. I just can not use the swiffer wet jet or any other type of liquid hardwood floor cleaner that is sold in stores on my floors.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I LOVE hardwood floors. :) I think its way easier to keep clean than carpeting..especially with having animals and kids. We have 3 cats.I run a vacume every day, theres never any cat hair lying around..and trust me, they've been shedding like crazy, it comes off on your hands when you pet them,lol. I have a mini shop vac that I use..it has a flat attachment to it and it does no damage to the floors. I have the wet jet swiffer thing, I personally don't care for it to much. But you might like it. I prefer my sponge mop for quick mop ups and I like washing my floors by hand.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We have hardwood floors throughout & two dogs and I have found that it is much easier to keep clean of dog hair than carpets ever were. I use a Bissell Healthy Home vacuum on the bare floor setting and because it has a detachable hose, it's easy to get into the corners & under furniture, etc. My floors are not sealed hardwood, so I can't use water on them, but I do wipe over them with a damp, not wet, mop every once in a while.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We have laminate wood floors and 4 cats, 2 dogs and a toddler. I use a regular old broom with the dustbuster to pick up dry debris and a microfiber mop for mopping. I LOVE the microfiber mop! But layh is right, you need to know exactly what kind of floors you have before you buy cleaning supplies. I read the owners guide for our floors and thought they were just trying to sell me something when it said to only use THEIR microfiber mop. But I tried a regular sponge mop and it left yucky streaks. Swiffer wet did the same thing. Turns out the manual was right after all :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• swiffer is great!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I've used a swiffer and vacuumed the floor with no problems. Never tried a swiffer vac, and may get one to try out.
    1scrappinmama

Answer by 1scrappinmama at 9:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2010