Has anyone heard of Aspergers?

It's on my paperwork of tests they are going to run on my 3 1/2 year old. I was wondering what it was and is it common?

blessedmama4

Asked by blessedmama4 at 5:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Asperger's is on the high end of the autism spectrum. Children with it aren't wired socially the same way you and I are; they may lack empathy, be more self-centered than the average toddler, have sensory issues. motor control problems and trouble with anger control.

They ALSO can get obsessive on subjects (my son's was Pokemon for a long time), and very good at learning about things they like. The man who first diagnosed the problem called these children "Little Professors."

Einstein is believed to have had Asperger's. So is Thomas Edison.

If yours DOES have it, you are very lucky to get it caught early. We didn't determine it for my son till the end of third grade, and it really had a negative impact on some of his schooling. He is now in sixth grade, and gets the extra support he needs in school for writing projects in particular, which are frustrating for him.

PM me if you want to know more!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yeah, I know 4 or 5 children who have been diagnosed with Aspergers. It's a high functioning form of Autism.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Asperger's is an autism-spectrum disorder. You can read up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%27s
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• high end of spectrum
    used childs have great speech
    social issues hough
    if your child is being tested for

research, research, research
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Bill Gates has Asperger's.

Sometimes it causes them to be a bit quirky when in a social setting and they can't read some clues as to when a person is bored with whatever topic they are obsessed with and they will keep talking and talking. LOL It isn't so bad and they can lead normal lives.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, I know many adults and children with Asperger's Syndrome, it is on the autism spectrum. I don't know if it's more common or just recognized and correctly diagnosed more often. I am assuming that a developmental or speech and language / behavior difference may have drawn attention? My kids were noticed around that age. If I can help,give me a shout.
    kerryket

Answer by kerryket at 5:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My niece has Asperger's and I've had a few students with it - doesn't affect intelligence - they were in my honors class - social skills though were difficult for them :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• His preschool teachers were concerned and that was on the paperwork for me to take to the dr. I will def. research more before his appt. on the 9th. Thank you all.
    blessedmama4

Comment by blessedmama4 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010