Can anyone share insight on black discoloration and a black bump on my 13 mo gum where a tooth will soon be coming it?

My daughter is working on her 1yr molars, and her upper right one has not yet poked through. On the bottom part of where her tooth will be coming in it is black. On the outer part, there is a black bump. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it's tough to say for sure.

LsMamaL

Asked by LsMamaL at 1:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be blood trapped under the skin of the gum. Remember - those molars are huge. And they are wide and fairly flat. As they come through, they are breaking small blood vessels in her gums and blood does seep out.
    Keep an eye on it. If the tooth is discolored when it comes in, take her to her doctor or dentist.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My daughter had the same thing, It's called an eruption cyst. Her dr said it's not a big deal and it should go away on it's own. she also told me to let her chew on a cold, wet towel or give her popsicles. After about 1 month it was gone and i never had a problem w/ it.
    lulu85

Answer by lulu85 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• When my son's one yr molars came in it was very difficult, they bothered him so much I had to give him Tylenol and/or Motrin before bed. The doctor said one of them was bruised and that's what was causing him so much pain. I kept oragel on hand and eventually they came in just fine but it did worry me that he was going through all that pain for teeth that are just going to fall out lol. I had no idea gums/teeth could bruise.
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2008