do any of you send packed lunch some days and let 'em buy school lunch others?

if so, do you pick the days or does your child? like do you go over the menu together?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

• My son is living with autism, and has sensory issues, and food is one of his biggest. More often than not, he takes his lunch to school, with the exception of the days they serve chicken nuggets, hotdogs, corn dogs, and minisub sandwiches. We look over the lunch calendar, and he marks off the days he will take lunch from home.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would always have a set routine as concerns which days they have a packed lunch and which days they don't, as that avoids confusion and mistakes on both sides, but it may be best to ask them which days they'd like. Say if they have a club or activity at lunchtime one day so it would be easier for the to have a packed lunch, or if all of their friends bought a school lunch on a certain day etc. If it doesn't seem to matter to them then whatever is easiest for you!
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 5:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I remember them having a paper sheet menu to bring home; we read it and they would select that day they would want a hot meal. So throughout the month I knew what day I would fix lunch.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I let my daughter pick which days she wants to eat in the cafeteria or bring a lunch from home. My son only gets from-home lunches until we get an allergen list from the cafeteria. Then, he will have that option as well.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

same here
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If they are going to be serving something my kids REALLY REALLY hate, I will send them in with lunch, but beyond that they can eat what the school makes.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Since I work at the school cafeteria I Know what foods there are and I let me dd pick which days she wants to eat and which days she will take her sack lunch. There are just days that if we have something like Spaghetti or fish sticks she won't eat so we do sack lunches and we send hone the whole months menu each month. Our kids have so much food to choose from then they never eat it all and there is a massive amount of food wasted everyday
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• None of the elementary schools in our district have cafeterias... so all lunches must be pre-ordered.

I let my daughter choose which meals she wants and I pre-order them.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• no my sd always takes her lunch bc school lunch is to expensive..they hardly get anything on their plates..she usually chooses whats going from week to week..or she will take leftovers
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would always pack, and let them buy 1 day a week that they would pick.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010