Whats the difference between a private school and a public school?

does that mean less children in the class? If my son has medicaid can he be in a private school free of charge? He has PDD and I wanted him in a class with less children but at the school hes in there taking forever to evaluate him. Do they also wear the regular uniforms for the private schools or different kinds cause I've seen different ones for the church private schools I went to one when I was small but I dont remember.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

• some private schools have uniforms, others don't. it's about a 50/50 mix. they almost ALWAYS have much smaller class sizes. mediciad or medicare will never pay for something elective like that. if a child is terribly ill then a public school may send a teacher/tutor to the home but there's a LOT of hoops to jump through
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Private schools cost money but I don't know if that would be elimnated with state aide or not. Don't forget you also have an option of charter schools. Which are free schools and are like the next step up from public schools. They usually have smaller classrooms as well but often have no transportation so you would have to be the ride to and from school. Good luck!
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 5:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my son has SEVERE asthma and a variety of life threatening food allergies. we're sending him to a private christian school and we're pretty darn poor... we got an ENORMOUS tuition discount due to our income. no uniforms but a very strict dress code so I had to buy a TON of special clothing and he'll need a haircut monthly to stay in the dress code....... his kindergarten class looks like it will have 9 kids including him. i am THRILLED, everyone in the school knows him and his medical problems and he'll get non stop attention, love, and care there.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• In genera,l private schools have smaller classes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• PS.... your son, in reality, will need a public school, OP. he has tons of rights in public school. private school you have NO rights. public school he'll get whatever therapies and special help he needs. if he's too much "work" or missing too much classtime to leave for speech/PT/OT, etc then a private school could actually kick him out.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Private schools cost a bundle. Most are at least ten thousand a year. They wear uniforms. They do not mecessarily have betterteachers or get a better education....they do cost a lot and people assume that means quality. It doesn't. It is for parents who don't trust regular teachers in public schools. Church sponsored schools might cost less but you will get religious education, not as much academics. PUBLIC schools do not charge you a yearly tuition fee. There might be small sports fees if a kid joins a team or a fee for art supplies for art classes, etc, see what I am saying? All my kids and grandkids went to public schools and had a great time, learned a lot. My kids went on to college,have 4 year degrees. I believe in Public schools. You could check with schools in your area and see how they can help your son to make the most of his school experience.GOOD LUCK!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Honestly, Four of my friends went to a private school there entire lives. When I met them they were the worst group of people. They went out of control using drugs and alcohol. They said they were repressed their entire lives and now that they were all 18 they wanted to do all the things they were schooled not to..

Not to say that all children that go to private schools end up this way. But my main reason for wanting to send my child there would be in hopes that they would turn out better than the average, public school child. And after hearing everything about the private school, I can see that it really depends on the children that are attending the school (who they are, how their raised, etc) Ultimately, who your child surrounds themselves with have the most effect on their character, how they grow, and who they grow into.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Private schools are not obligated to provide supports & services to children with disabilities, so unless you are considering a school for children with special needs, your child will get no help from a private school. A public school is obligated to identify, evaluate & provide services to a child with special needs. And even though the public schools may be difficult about giving/following an IEP, you & your child have rights & recourse to force compliance in a public school, but not with a private school.

As for getting into a private school for free b/c your child has MA, no, but you may be able to obtain a scholarship from the school if they are willing to take on your son. Uniforms/dress codes vary by individual school, so you'd have to check w/whatever school your child would attend.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i think your kiddo would be better in a public yet charter private school... that's just IMO
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:40 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• One of my understandings of a private school is that they may charge for your child to attend and they are also funded privately. A public school is funded by the public at large.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010