How to cope with the pain caused by ovarian Cysts?

My doctor basically told me there is nothing more she can do for me, that I need to learn to cope with my pain. She doesnt condone me using any sort of pain medication, so she wants me to find ways to accept the pain and work around it... Not exactly sure how to do this. But I am completely open to suggestion. I have a cyst on my left ovary, it causes me pain 5+ times a day. The heating pad works wonders, but Im not always at home to use it. Any suggestions?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 5:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Health

• I'd definitely get a second opinion - I was in extreme pain and it turned out my fallopian tube which is supposed to be no larger in diameter than your hair was over 2 cm in diameter - it was full of fluid - they removed the tube and the ovary since it was also diseased - not cancerous though I was fortunate - but now I'm on the lookout because my mother is an ovarian cancer survivor and tested postive for the BRCA-1 gene which leads to ovarian and breast cancer. If you're concerned get a CA-125 protein blood test and a transvaginal ultrasound!!
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 6:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• um how could it go left untreated? I had a cyst that was not to big but within a certain amount of time was the size of a grapefruit..mine ruptureds and my dr freaked and told me i could have died..and that i was insane for dealing with the pain and not going to the er..maybe yours are not as bad as mine but i know mine hurt like caca and i couldnt hardly deal with it..i wish you luck and i would suggest a second op..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My daughter has the same problem. has had it for several years now. She once played soccer the day after she was in the ER because we didn't know what it was. She could hardly stand up straight. She does use Advil now and even Ibuprophen 800 and a heating pad every now and then but mostly she just lives with it. She has gotten on a BC that helps some now so she is thankful for that. Have you rtied different ones?
    You could try going to an acupuncturist or a pain Dr?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I havent tried a different doctor. I've had this doctor for a little over two years. I met this doctor when I went to the ER while I was 4 mo pregnant. I was in immence pain. They found out that my right ovary had a cyst, which they discovered was a durmoid tumor (7cm across) had twisted and cut off blood supply to my ovary. They did an emergency surgery and had just the tumor removed.
    Thats why I wanted to stay with this doctor, just because she was there first hand and knew my medical history. But is it normal for her to tell me im S.O.L. and I need to learn to cope with pain? Or is a Second opinion an option?
    stenhouse_baby

Comment by stenhouse_baby (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have suffer with this same issue for about 6 years. First, if you want to be treated with pain medication switch doctors. Just don't go back and forward with doctors. Second, I know when you are in a lot of pain it's hard to do this but it does help..... I do about 50-100 sit ups, it pops the cyst. Then drink about 20-30 oz. of water, too help flush the cyst from your system. I know it hurts but then it's over and you can go on with your day. Third, If it affects you 5+ times a day I think you might want to consider the surgery. Fourth, My doctor gave me many options for coping without medication including mediation, acupressure, exercises and the heating pad. Message me if you need support or want to learn more. GOOD LUCK
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Wow, untreated? I had an ovarian cyst when I was 5 years old, I remember them saying it was the size of an apple. I had surgery and they removed that ovary and tube, I remember extreme pain and vomiting off and on. I would suggest a second opinion.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• breathing
    strong86

Answer by strong86 at 7:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010