leapster 2 gaming system? yea? nay?

This is the hand held game system that is like a beginner gameboy lol
I am starting to think about xmas. My son is 28 months old and I think he'd enjoy something like this since it has so many game cartridge options and it's travel-friendly. Anyone have this system?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 5:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Entertainment

• my son loves it. he's had it for a year, and yes it is a lot cheaper than the DS/games. most of the games cost around $21-24 (walmart/target/bestbuy/toysrus). i went ahead and bought the case ($14.99 @ BB) because he likes to take it everywhere and it does help protect the handheld, plus it holds 3-4 cartridges.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Totally~ love it and it really does coach them on such for school. Now, I made the mistake of moving next to the DS~the gaming changes to war, kill, fight themes.

My kids love the lego batman and lego star wars, etc and I thought they were just killing legos that they can build up.....but my son can be Darth Vader and strangle people for fun~what the hell did I start with that?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i meant to add, walmart had several games on clearance (you might have to sort through that aisle..it can be a mess.) for $15, at my local store. you might check yours!
    my ds also has the V-motion system that hooks up to his TV..again, cheaper, and just as entertaining/educating-possibly moreso, than more expensive, popular systems.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• dullscissors that was another gaming system i was considering. I came upon a local ad for the vsmile baby system. Only thing is it is for 9 months and up, and my son is almost 2.5 years old. So he might lose interest after a while if all he has to do is find the square on the keypad lol. The v-motion game system looks more his cup of tea, but I really like how the leapster is hand held. He could take it with him on car rides, while waiting in the dr. office or whatever,
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Most of the games will probably be pretty hard for a 2.5 year old...DS is 4.5 and some of the leapster 2 games are too hard for him still and he's pretty good with video games & computer games. The v-smile baby is probably based for too young of kids to work well for him, but I bet the v-motion game system would be pretty good for his age range.
    sweetashyb

Answer by sweetashyb at 12:51 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• My girl got the leapster thing for her 4th birthday and has played with it constantly since. You can look on the back of the games and it tells you age recommendations, what is done in them and all that. Some are hard, but a lot are easy. Plus the built in games are easy. There's a paint thing where you can decorate different pictures, and one other I can't remember. I would recommend it to anyone. He may have a hard time at first, but by the time he's three, I'd guess he'll have the hang of it.
    One thing, though, if you get it. Use good batteries, not the cheap ones. They last a lot longer in the leapster. If I get cheap batteries, I have to change them before the weeks out, but with the good ones (energizer work best), I don't have to change them for a month. And that's with daily play.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• You might want to consider the next Leapster instead - the Leapster Explorer. It looks like they are going to stop making cartridges for the Leapster 2 and switch exclusively to the things they are calling leaplets. My son is on the verge of outgrowing his Leapster 2, so I'm not going to upgrade, but if he were a year or two younger, I would in a heartbeat. It looks like a great handheld system. He's had a Leapster for several years and has played with it almost every day. Definitely worth the money.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• my sister bought one for my niece for her birthday a week ago and it is already messing up i dont know if it is a dud in the batch not all are perfect. or just the system itself she is unable to calibrate the screen. So i am unsure about it at this point
    r_trent

Answer by r_trent at 5:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Saw someone mention the V- Motion in theory it is great but it is actually pretty hard. I have games for 4-7 year olds and my 4 year old has difficulty getting the game to do the basic things...have felt like throwing the game controller myself. As for the Leapster 2 my kids love it! But they are a bit older not sure how suitable it would be for a 2 year old. I would consider going with the new system as I believe they are going to stop developing new games for the Leapster 2.

bookworm23

Answer by bookworm23 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We have 1 leapster for my 4 and 6 yr old~ they fight over it constantly! lol~ But, that's cuz they love it:) We have devised a system of a child getting the leapster and one child getting a gameboy~ and then switching off the next night. Works pretty well for us. But, my dd will be getting a ds for her 7th bday in a few days and I prolly won't have that fight anymore;)
    Our Walmart had one of the old leapsters on sale for 30 bucks. Plus, if you are a coupon-er, check coupons.com for coupons on leap frog products! I've gotten 48 cent tag reader books, leapster games for 5 bucks and a leapster for 25 bucks. Just shop wisely;)
    Leeshamak

Answer by Leeshamak at 7:54 AM on Aug. 29, 2010