How much does it really cost to adopt?

My DH and I are starting to seriously look into adoption. We just want to make sure we have all of our finances in order before we file any paper work. The last thing we want is to start the process and run out of (low on) money. Or have to take money away from our other responsibilities. We are already prepared for expenses of a child, I just want to know about the adoption fees, lawyer fees etc. We want a domestic adoption, open or semi-open, either foster to adopt or adopt, from in or out of state, we live in OH.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 5:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Adoption

• I adopted twice and I didn't pay a cent (fost/adopt).....they wouldn't allow it....you get 3 years of tax breaks for special needs adoptions or your out of pocket costs.

they paid for home study, filing fees, social workers, child's lawyer, county counsel, bonding study~everything but their adoption parties!

It's fun to go into Judges chambers to sign the final adoption~

and most people (I think the income cap is 90K) can get adoption assistance until 18 (my little one is 3k a month~stage 4 kidney kid...and you know...if you don't have a family in CA...you don't get a Kidney...I couldn't believe that they let kids die of end stage kidney failure even now. just because they have no family...."the biggest factor in a successful transplant is a family"

when adopting "younger isn't better, its just longer"
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It's going to cost you THOUSANDS of dollars no matter how you go about it. BUT, if you go through open adoption it's usually a good bit cheaper, beyond that, I don't know... Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Read the following:   How Much Does Adoption Cost?

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010