Help! I have the neediest baby ever!

He is 5 months old and will not let me put him down. He cries any time I do. I can't listen to it for more than a couple minutes and I pick him up. He is starting to make me crazy! I mean I can't even go pee without him screaming. If he is awake I have to hold him. i also have a toddler who needs my attention as daddy works out of town and is only home Sunday's. Please any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i guess at 5 months he is done with swaddling in blanket
    mine was like this
    her father and i could not wait until she was old enough for a swing

do you use a swing??

we adored our swing, i mean we both were nearly in tears when we first put her in it and she loved it

i have tears in my eyes remembering how we were relieved for a few moments once we got the SWING!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My son is almost the same, but then I bought an exersaucer and a jolly jumper and a whole bunch of toys & he loves them! :)
    JanetCG

Answer by JanetCG at 5:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My son was very much the same way. I refused to let him cry it out so I just dealt with it the best I could. He gradually got more confident and better at being on his own. Start small...sit on the couch with him on your lap. Then move him slightly off your lap. Then a little more. See if you can get him to sit next to you. Then if he is comfortable with that, try sitting a little farther, or getting up for a minute and sitting back down again. Take little steps, many times a day, to show him that when you put him down, you ALWAYS pick him back up.

Making these tiny, tiny efforts over time should help. And it's a lot less cruel than just tossing him in a crib and letting him cry, which is undoubtedly what other moms are going to tell you to do.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• you could try a sling or a wrap. A wrap is nice because it ''hold'' your baby to you but your hands are free to actually do stuff. My daughter is pretty needy a lot too & when she is in the mood to be held & I need to get stuff done, ya know like....making dinner for my almost 4 year old, havning my hands free & not having my 4 month old screaming - my wrap is a life saver! I bought mine at etsy.com for a lot less than a name brand one. I've used it w/both my kids.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Mine is now 19 yrs. old. THANK GOD! I went through this too. She was the only one too, and I have seven now. She was #2 though, like your son. I lived in NY at the time and hired an Indian lady when I decided to go back to work and she said she was spoiled and I had to find another lady 2 weeks later. Believe it or not they grow out of it and like one of the other ladies said try the swing. He's old enough. Try one of those bouncy things too. It's not a walker but hangs from a door-way. I know it's hard but it gets better believe us.
    MsAzucar

Answer by MsAzucar at 6:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• That's how babies are. I concur. get a sling or wrap bor mei tai. It is a win win!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• DUH - I totally forgot about a sling or a wrap. That is a fantastic idea. I used the Bjorn a lot when my son was little, but a sling or wrap would have been better.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010