• In the Spotlight:

shaking bottles...

I have always heard that you shouldn't shake your bottles when you give them to baby because it causes more air bubbles which results in gas and an upset stomach...but then all I have heard on here is about shaking the bottle to stir the formula....is this not true?

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 2:07 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• what I always did to avoid the air bubbles was to shake them and then let them sit until the bubbles were gone. ta-da! no more bubbles :)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:09 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I always shake them . When they hold them up the bubbles are still at the top not coming out of the bottle right? Im tired so i hope that makes sense lol. but yea i always shake my sons and he's never had a problem with gas
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:12 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I would shake them when I used the powder formula when I was on the go, I wouldn't shake it when it was the can formula one, I already forgot what its called because it was 2 and a half yrs ago when my son was a baby lol, but I would buy those special bottles to relieve the air and eliminate gases and colics.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I use the bottles with the vent things maybe that makes a differance. I didn't like the ones with the bags or liners.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:22 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I use the paytex refill system with th bags. And i push all the air out, including the bubbles. I also let the bottle sit for a minute or so, depending on if my son is crying or not.

Do you have a baby on the way, I noticed this is in the pragnany section?
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• yeah i do im only 5 1/2 months, but even before i got pregnant.. actually when i was like 10 i remember making a bottle for my nephew and was told not to shake it but to stir it with a butter knife instead lol.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:50 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• im gonna be breast feeding, but with my cousins son i would shake it and then press the nipple to where it would get the bubbles out
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• thanks I had no idea about the hole shaking thing...i might just start stirring them with a butter knife..lol
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 4:40 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• thats why i liked the ones with the plastic liners you could squeeze all that out .. my 1st i swear he never had gas unless a bad diaper was coming my way lol
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2008