SAHM: How do you create a mini break from your LOs?

I have 'give me a minute' blocks. I have a 7 mo old and he wakes up when he hears my alarm in the morning and screams. So, I give him the 'give me a minute blocks' (soft blocks he loves and can only have in him crib), it gives me enough time to use the bathroom, make coffee and make a bottle before I go get him out of the crib.
So, how do you create your own breaks from your child/children? Please give me something more than T.V.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 6:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I got them a dog. Okay now I have to clean puppy poop up but only for a while. The kids play fetch and I can do whatever.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Why do you set an alarm if all it does is wake your child up?

I've got 3 during the day... so even when two are napping, I still have one and that's his "special" time. So, I don't get breaks. Even when I shower I'm breaking up fights and telling the toddler crying at the shower door that I'm almost done. I *used* to be able to read while they played outside... but that just doesn't happen anymore. Oh, hey... is this a break? I guess nursing the toddler while I go online is the most break I'll be getting for a while.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I listen to music, quilt, make appliques, or sew. Sometimes I call friends on the phone. Other times I am on here. But sometimes I go for a bike ride.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 6:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• talk to my mom on the phone, crochet, hula hoop outside if the weather's fine, go on cafemom lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I give them naps at the same time, or close enough for me to have an hour to myself
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Pretty much just nap time here, LOL.
    But really..when its just me and my daughter here (son at school and no kids to babysit)...she really does play well on her own for short periods of time.She's 18 months.
    I make my coffee in peace(usually) and SOMETIMES I even get to drink a whole cup without interruption,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• About the alarm thing... if I didn't set the alarm I wouldn't wake up and if I don't wake up then I can't wake up DH to go to work (alarms don't work for him anymore).
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I just lock myself in the bathroom. My kids, even as toddlers, could entertain themselves either with the TV or their toys in their room or each other. Now they are older and I send them outside to play when they are driving me nuts. Either they find something to do outside or I find something for them to do inside (ie scrubbing walls, cleaning the bathroom, etc). I locked myself in the bathroom with the water running a lot when my older 3 kids were babies. I had them all right in a row and the 3rd one was clingy. It was the only way I could get away from them. The youngest would sit in front of the bathroom door and wait. The other 2 would just play with their toys or watch TV.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My breaks from my 3 month old are when he naps. Even when he is awake he's a very easy baby who likes to just chill with mama. My 4 yo, oh she is really good about independent play with her toys. She loves to take baths and will stay in the tub for an hour sometimes. I'll allow her 30 minutes of computer game play or Leapster play too. There are various things she does in a day that allow me time to just chill or get things done around the house.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:55 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• We have wonderful neighbors/friends who we trade child care (and sometimes dinner) with.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Aug. 28, 2010