Sleeping schedule

My son just turned 6 months old not too long ago and I always thought he had a good sleeping schedule. We give him his bath at 7 and he usually goes to bed around 10, sometimes 10:30. This past month I have noticed he is getting very over tired. He gets so fussy and only wants to be held. And no, he is not teething yet. The doc confirmed that. The problem with my son is that he is not the type of baby that can cry himself to sleep. We try that all the time but he will cry for over 45 minutes and only wake himself up more. I was wondering what your mom's schedules are for your kids. Bath time, nap time, bed time? And how do you get them down? I would like to put him on more of a schedule so he is not so tired all the time. Oh and I do keep things quiet when I want him to sleep. Most of the time he only goes to sleep with a bottle and the lights dimmed. I also have a fan in his room for noise. That helps. Any other suggestions?

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 6:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son i s5 months old and his very stuck to hsi schedule. he wakes up at 7 in the morning and stays awake for a while until about 10 he taks like a 30 minute nap and then he wakes up i bath him somewhere in between 2 and 3 and right afterhe naps he takes a long nad from about 320 to about 6. when he wakes up i put him for hit tummy time in the floor where i and my 2 yr old play with him and then daddy comes home and plays with him. finally at about 9 i lay him down give him his lovey blankie and he starts rubbing it on his cheek and his usually sleeping by 930. from then he wakes up at about for one bottle and then wakes up again at 7 for another day. we try to always keep him on the same schedule no matter where we are.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• How can the doctor confirm it's not teething? His gums may not be inflamed, but it can still be teething.

We usually do a bath after dinner, then books, then bedtime. Time varies... usually around 9pm sometimes later, sometimes earlier. Naptime for the baby can be anywhere from 11am-3pm and he'll sleep for 2 hours or so.

He nurses to sleep 90% of the time. Occasionally I'll resort to the ergo and wear him down.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Baths usually happen in the mornings here. My 5 month old wakes up around 7 am. Her 1st nap is around 11. Her 2nd is around 3. At 7 we settle down, get into pjs and have story time. By 7:30 to 8 the kids are in bed (I also have a 2 year old who doesn't nap anymore.).
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I forgot to add, after story time and I get my 2 year old settled in bed she has her last bottle of the day.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• the one thing with both of my kids is they need the light off in order for them to sleep do you co sleep with him or does he sleep on a crib? if you co sleep with him try laying him right next to you and turn the lights off. if he has something he is attached to like a binkie or a lovie you should give it to him then. and if he is on his own crib maybe do the same just lay him on his crib adn turn all the lights off i remember with my first son i got hi this turtle that was a night ligh adn also made some soothing relaxing noice it worked wonders with him i would put him on his crib and turn it on and turn all the lights off. it might take soem time in order for him to get used to it dont think its going t obe from one day to the next. but be consistant and eventually it will work good luck
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Why don't you hold him if he wants to be held? If I was 6 months old and my caregiver had left me in my bed crying for 45 minutes at a time, I'd be feeling pretty insecure about the whole bed situation too. This just makes me so sad. he wants to be close to you. He needs you for comfort. He is only 6 months old. Nurse him to sleep, rock, him, use a bottle - whatever works. You can't spoil a baby this little. Please consider his needs before you decide to put him on a schedule that suits yours!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• getrealmama-

Maybe you misread my question...I want to get him on a "better" sleeping schedule so he is not so over tired. I have been failing to be consistent for HIS needs not mine. His sleep doesn't affect me, it affects him. And I hate seeing him so upset because he is so exhausted all the time. I have a tendency of checking on him too much and holding him every time he cries. I rock him and sing to him consistently but he is so over tired that he can't sleep. U should have read my question a little better before criticizing me as a mother.
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I was going directly from your post - "The problem with my son is that he is not the type of baby that can cry himself to sleep. We try that all the time but he will cry for over 45 minutes and only wake himself up more." I wasn't trying to be critical either...I am really happy that you tend to his needs. But SO many moms here seem to just accept that letting a baby cry is OK, and I think that many of those moms do so because of the advice they receive from others (relatives, strangers, books, even doctors) I feel that it's really important to see that there are other ways to do things!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Over tired is difficult. DH has a super swaddle system that helps our baby relax. You might try swaddling him and carrying himthrough the house telling him a story. It knocks my baby out in 5 mins even when she is having the too tired to sleep anxiety. We also nurse to sleep.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Bath time: After dinner.

Bed time: When he started seeming tired.

Had NOTHING to do with the clock and everything to do with HIM. Never ran into overtired because I threw out the clock and watched the baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010