Hypopituitarism... Need some support!

I have a 15 month old little girl. She is very small for her age. She is 28 inches tall. Her doctor is worried she may have a growth hormone deficiency. If she is diagnosed, she may need weekly injections of hormones. Without them, she would reach puberty much later than kids her age and never reach 5 feet tall. :(
I'm really worried,stressed, anxious and very scared. Any support would help!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 6:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's always difficult to have your child diagnosed with a chronic condition. However, this is a condition that can be treated and with treatment your daughter can expect to live a normal life. Without treatment the only problem she may have is being shorter than normal. I'm only 5'2" and being a couple of inches shorter wouldn't be a big deal. Reaching puberty late may be a blessing. This is not something to be stressed, anxious or scared about.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My son was only 3 inches taller than her at 18 months. He is 14 and still in the 50 percentile for his age. My mom is only 4'10". She may just be diminutive. Has she gained height steadily since birth?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Her weight is perfectly normal. But her height is in the 1%. She is VERY smart, her doctor has already recommended a gifted program for her. She just isn't getting any taller. She eats a very healthy diet, she doesnt even like junk food. I made all her baby food, I cook all her meals with fresh veggies. So it has nothing to do with her diet either. So we need to go to a specialty doctor to have her specially tested. She has already gone throuhg a preliminary test, and it showed her HGH was very low.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would try not to stress out about it either. The negatives are either she will be short, or she will get shots every week. I have a friend whose son has a lot of allergy problems, he has to get allergy shots every week and I think twice a year they do skin tests for him where they poke him about 50 times with different things and watch the reaction. It seems horrible to everyone else, but to him it's just life and the injections are no big deal. If your daughter has to get shots every week to her it will just be normal, it won't be a huge deal. My daughter is small too, although not that short. At almost 3 she is about 3rd percentile in weight and 10th in height. Up until she was 7 months old she was in the 75% for height, her weight dropped from 50% at 2 months to below the chart at 9 months. I'm not sure why she's dropped so much, but no one has suggested testing her for anything. I figure she's just small and that's ok.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I forgot to add. My son's weight is below the 5 percentile. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010