What are some creative ways to get your kids to help you clean the house?

I already know about taking their toys or games etc.. away but didnt seem to work, do you have a creative way to get your kids to help? need ideas thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• make it a game
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My 5 year old likes lists... So, I give him a list of about 5 things to take care of. He reads the list and checks off each item as he finishes them. Before you know it, the house is clean. Its kinda like a game for him!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Our friends have a reward system. They do a day trip or something similar (bowling maybe) once a month for reward of genuine cooperation in getting chores done. The kids work together now because they all love the reward. The explanantion is that the house belongs to all of them and they all will take care of it. They have had this system for several years. Chores are on a chart and get checked off.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I just sing the Clean up-clean up everybody clean up song. I used it on them since they were one. Now it works like the pavlov's dog thing.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 6:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• give one job at time. like when i ask my 8 year old to clean up the kitchen, i start with rinse off all the plates and bowls and put them in the dishwasher, when thats dont i will have her wipe down a specific counter, then get cups and silverwear in the dishwasher then wipe out the microwave. just dont keep on one certain thing for to long, like it takes 20 minutes to do the dishes, seh will be bored of it in 8, so i have her do something else and then come back to it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• what do you mean it doesnt work? You ae in charge. If you say to do it, they should do it! I dont have to do anything but tell mine (7,3,4) And they clean their rooms and help out! I am in charge, and that is it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• ^^^ I doubt it!^^^^
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't see why you have to "find creative ways" to get them to do it. My kids are 5 and 4 and they clean up their rooms and toys and help with dinner dishes, because they have to. They have NEVER been given an option to not do it. I honestly don't think they know they could try and not do it. When it is time to clean up-there is no tv, video games, or anything else until it is done. They have learned the faster they do it the faster they get to go back to what they want to do.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have found that if they want to do something (go outside, go get a movie etc) I will tell them we could go but I have to pick up their toys, it works most of the time to get them to do it instead. We also do a chart for helping hands if they help do basic household chores and their own stuff. And recently I noticed that if I make what I've asked them to do a contest or race they do it without question. But nothing is 100%
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 29, 2010