Fever in my 4 month old PIOG

My son has a fever. He is 4 months old. It isnt an alarming fever has never gone above 99.5. But my concern is it happens every day. Tylenol brings it down but after the 4-6 hours it is right back. He is acting perfectly normal (eating palying normal sleeping) and i dont see any teething signs. He drools but nothing exsessive. Is a daily fever a concern? How many days would you wait before calling the Dr?

Med109

Asked by Med109 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say to call him already atleast see what he has to say
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• sounds like it could be an ear infection that isn't really bothering him other than causing the fever.

fever is normally a sign of some sort of infection anyways.

I'd say after 2-3 days, get to the doc.

it could just be his normal body temperature. mind is 97.6, I don't see why it couldn't be 1 degree higher for some.

It could be your thermometer or how you are taking it. the ear ones aren't very accurate in young babies as the end can't get far enough in the ear canal.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 2:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i would also call the doctor or go to ER, that seems really strange that he gets it daily. i hope he gets better!!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Is he teething?
    Mrs.NikkiC

Answer by Mrs.NikkiC at 2:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• No baby shouldn't have fevers everyday! keep his body temperature down by keeping baby cool you may want to not dress the baby in so much,rub baby down with cool water............Pray,Pray,Pray! Fevers can be dangerous,so keep God first and doctor second.
    By the way I agree with flutterfa,she's good! sounds like ear infection...do you bottle feed?
    Well I hope the baby is fine and Good luck and God bless you.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 3:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• A fever that low I wouldn't even bother with the tylenol. Unless the fever bothers baby let it do it's job of fighting off the infection.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• It could be due to teething. My daughter ran a low grade fever, & had a runny nose, every day, while cutting new teeth. It could also be an ear infection though. If your baby's drooling alot , has hands/fingers in his mouth all the time & is biting everything.. I'd say it's teething. Otherwise, I'd call the dr in the am & make an appt. My daughter had a dbl ear infection once, but didn't let on that there was anything wrong with her ears.. she just wasn't acting normal (tired, cranky etc)
    fulltimemom2007

Answer by fulltimemom2007 at 4:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Then fever isn't the concern. The reason and your childs age are the concerns. You need to call your pediatrician because of your child age.
    Kifole

Answer by Kifole at 7:15 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it. All the doc is going to say is that he's teething or something unless that temp is in a constant of 104 or higher. I would just keep alternating between tylenol & motrin every 4 hours. Unfortunately, most docs won't do a thing until the tylenol/motrin thing won't keep the fever down.
    Good luck to you - take him to the doc if you're worried, trust your own judgement - you'll know if something's wrong!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I would think if there is no change in behavior his body runs higher. Call the dr to make sure you are not overlooking any other symtoms for illness.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2008