Do you make jam? I need help!

I have a bucket (30 pounds)of frozen strawberries packed in their own juices and topped with sugar. I am wanting to make a bunch of jam. What do I need to do after they thaw? I dont want to add more sugar because it will be too sweet! Do I just heat them then add pectin (will it need more liquid) or what? I plan on canning the jam in pint jars using hot water bath method. Please help- i got a great price on these and family wants jam :-) (the net is only giving me recipies with a bunch of sugars and tons of extra liquid. I would like spreadable jam not runny jam. And how much of what do I use?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 6:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Food & Drink

• http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Strawberry-Jam/Detail.aspx

I don't know if that's one of the recipes you looked up, but it doesn't require pectin, and it is delicious.

As far as sugar goes...just use what you've already put on the strawberries.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 6:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I've never used that kind of strawberries, but this is what I'd do - 5-6 cups berries, with some juice - add in the packet of pectin (powder), mush up a bit if you want, and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, let boil for a couple of minutes, and turn off the heat. If you want chunky jam leave it be, if you want it smoother run an immersion blender (stick blender) through it - but I would also start with 1 cup less berries if you plan to puree it as I've found that pureeing means runnier jam.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 7:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• vbruno

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I always used the recipe on the sure-jell box.

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You dont need pectin but you do need patience. If you cook it long enough the sugars will do all the work of the pectin.

Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i make peach jam. all i do is boil it down and sugar and call it a day. i think you just need to boil it and thats it. I've never made strawberry, i'm gunna try it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010