Little girl I watch causing bad habits?

I have two boys, one is 4 and the other is 17 months. I watch a 2 year old girl during the day and she has a habit of sucking on her index and middle finger for comfort. I'm working with her to let it go... She also calls me "Leanne", though I refer to myself as Auntie (my kids call her mom auntie... we're close families).

Now, for the problem. My 17 mo old has been saying something when he wants something and I couldn't figure out what it was. My friend said last night it sounds like he's saying Leanne (he says it like "Me-ahn"). He calls me "mama", but does he think "leanne" means "I want"??? How do I change this? Last thing is that he was upset last night and he auntie (little girls mom) was holding him and he started sucking his fingers like she does! He has never had a paci or finger sucking habit, he always gets the boob when he wants to suck... how do I prevent him from sucking his fingers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Give him boob (in your language).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My next to youngest grandchild sucks those same two fingers, and my 2-year old grandson sucks his thumb, but they only do it when they are sleepy. They will stop and we don't worry about that. The name thing though I would insist on changing. Every time she calls you by your first name, don't do whatever she's asking until she calls you by whatever you want to be called. Your children will figure out for themselves that you are Mommy. They go through stages of calling people what they hear, but that doesn't last either. The 2-year old is currently calling me Miss Nanny and his Aunt Amanda, miss Amanda. That all started because she is his Missions Friends teacher at church on Wednesday night, and the other children call her Miss Amanda. We just smile about it, because we think it's cute and we know he still knows who we are.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my youngest was breast fed. around three he suddenly started to suck his finger. I have no clue why. some kids just do it
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Is he trying to say "me want" and it sounds like "me ahn?" Those consonants are hard for little ones. I wouldn't worry too much about the finger sucking. If he is just now starting it, he's probably just trying it out because he's seen her do it. He probably won't be doing it for long, he's just trying to see what the big deal is. You're a good Mama for trying to figure it out, though!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• walgreens has this stuff that is suposse to stop the thumb sucking. you can try that.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010