mental illness

i know i have a mental illness but i have no insurance and no money....any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Health

• It depends on what "mental illness" we are talking about. What do you think is wrong?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• have you been diagnosed? sometimes it may make you elgible for disibility
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Mental illnesses are covered by various Social Welfare systems. Depending on your age, contact Medicaid or Medicare to see what programs are available to you.
    Micksbabe

Answer by Micksbabe at 7:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Well you have to be diagnosed with something for sure. First, I would see if you can apply for state health insurance then I would contact social services and see what they can do for you. If you do in fact have a mental illness that makes you unable to work you may qualify for state funding. Where I live, people that can not work due to mental illness are funded by DMHAS. You may have to do some researching, these services are sometimes hard to get if you are over 18 and it also depends on the state you live in.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Your city or county will have mental health services. The fees are based on income or it's free. There are usually specialists at helping you get Medicaid or other services you qualify for. If you need meds and can't afford them they may have free meds or can help you get them from the drug companies.

If you have no money you should already be on Medicaid and you need to look on their website or contact them and find out what you need to do to get mental health services. Usually MDs can treat simple depression.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You can go to a mental health facility (check around to see which ones do this) and bring income statements etc... and apply for charity care. Since a lot of insurance plans don't cover mental health care some of them get federal subsidies.

They will bring you in every 3 or 4 months to see if you still qualify. Also if you get prescribed something they will help you with either samples or apply for charity care through the drug manufacturer.

I got free mental health care that way before my hubby put me on his insurance. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I hope you are able to get the help you need and feel better soon.

Angel
    angelachristine

Answer by angelachristine at 7:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Most cities or counties have free mental health services available.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010