my son's friend just moved away.... what can i do to make him feel better?

i am sad about it too because i am friends with the mother. they moved back to germany.... it's not like we can go visit them for the weekend lol. we would have playdates like twice a week and basically they were our only friends :( i got him some books from the library on this subject, but he's still sad and cries about it. i tried to tell him they can be pen pals, but he doesn't get it (he's 5yo.... can't write much yet and she's 3yo so she can't read anyway lol). i am not much help bc i am sad too

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So sorry to hear this. It will get better in time, but it's a shame. Try to stay as busy as you can. Go to the storyhour at the library. Have him draw a picture for his friend and show him how to take it to the PO and mail it. Just ideas................
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my dad did this for my oldest and neice, him and my brother have webcams and the girls were able to talk to eachother that way. or you can help him type a message using your email. sorry, i forgot to ask, do they have a computer?
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i don't think they have a computer..... not sure anyway lol
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I know this sounds horrible, but he's only 5 yo and will move on. If they were your only friends I think he may be feeling a little lonely at the moment so I'd encourage him to make other friends - perhaps you could invite round family/friends with children? Or are there any local playgroups or similar that you could take him to? Kids are resilient, he just needs something to distract him.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 8:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well i know eventually he will make more friends, especially since he goes to school now, but it just breaks my heart when he's crying and saying he misses them.
    princessbeth79

Comment by princessbeth79 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010