Is this a tacky way to get money for a wedding?

I am in a wedding next summer and my friends sister, the maid of honor set this up... So we are all going bar hopping and she wants to sell tickets at each bar and do a split the pot drawing at each one. I think it's kind of clever idea but it seems a little tacky too. They are on a tight budget and it would help. Should I go with it or say something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't understand......?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• not sure how many people will buy to make it worthwhile, and really you will probably have to get some kind of permit (or at minimum permission) to be selling anything at a bar you don't own. it just doesn't sound like a realistic idea...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• She's saying sell ticket for $1 and draw one at the end, bride gets half the money winner gets other half. I think it's kinda tacky but I've seen it done and people will probably do it so I would probably just go along. No need to cause drama with the wedding party.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I don't know!! I just wish the happy couple their happily ever after.. I know it was hard to pay for your own Wedding! I waited to turn 20 before we got married. We'll be married 30 years on the 30th! I didn't have any family. So we paid for it all ourselves..
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• What is a Split the Pot Drawing & What kind of Tickets would you try to sell? i have never heard of this!LOL
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would get annoyed at someone trying to get me to purchase nothing. And a bar, taking advantage of intoxicated people?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 7:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I understand what she's doing. Um, no. Bad idea. First of all, no one will by tickets at every bar, unless you're going to ONE. And it's really crass to have your friends carry the cost of a party you're throwing. The guests can certainly pitch in for costs for THIS gathering to make sure the bride is paid for. But she needs to stick with a realistic budget and not buy anything based on hoping she will raise money from others.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Maybe instead of begging (sorry to me thats what shes doing) she needs to tone down her wedding day....
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh my. No, it is very tacky, and besides, they'd need a vendor's license. Don't do it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It's pretty tacky and it's illegal in many areas since it's considered gambling.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010