HOw do I teach DD 8 how to pee outside for camping?

She said she would rather pee in her pants then in the grass. We have been trying to get her to practice in the backyard. We have even put her out there and refused to let her in. Sure enough she chose to pee her pants. Before you fly off the handle we are out in the country and have no neighbors. lol. Anyway we are going and where we are going is a friends private empty lot by a lake with no facilities DH has been wanting to take us camping for years but he wanted both girls potty trained so we weren't collecting diapers for 4 days. Lilly(3) has no issues with peeing in the lard lol. I guess we should have taught Val sooner before she developed this girly hang up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The camping potty is a great idea. We have a simple one that is a lightweight plastic toilet seat made to sit on a five gallon bucket. You just dump it out afterward and rinse it if possible. You can clean it with bleach water before it is stored, or just recycle the bucket and get a new one next time you go camping.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Can you compromise and bring a bucket for her to pee in and then just dump it?
    van5

Answer by van5 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• First, I do not condone locking your child outside to try to force the issue. She probably feels humiliated that you forced her to pee her pants (because to her peeing outside is not an option). It seems awfully cruel to me.

Second, have you tried showing her? It's easier to get the hang of if you see someone else do it first. That's how I learned when I was little :)

You could also try dressing her in a skirt or dress at first. It's easier to squat and pee in a skirt than have to be careful of your pants.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Not a problem for little boys LOL! Once they find out you can pee outside you can have problems getting them to do it inside. Just take along a camping potty.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• LOL! Be sure to teach her to always carry t.p. with her. I remember camping in the mountains as a young girl, and unfortunately I grabbed a leaf of poison oak and used it to wipe. Ouch!

Seriously, though, I have a girl of almost 6 and I think she would be very resistant to going outside, too. She may say that she'd rather pee her pants, but if you're in a situation where there is no bathroom, a girl that age will not choose to get messy.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have tried to show her she won't watch she won't do it. She has seen her sister do it to. All the time in fact. Now that we have taught her it's the only place she want's to go. lol.. She knows only in the back yard or camping though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You locked her out? That seems extreme to me! I'm guessing that when you're camping and your DD has no choice, she will figure it out on her own!
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 7:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• She wasn't literally locked out. I was out there with her and told her not to go in to do it in the yard behind a bush. She chose to pee her pants in defiance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with getting a camping toilet. And I also agree with ati that it's awful that you are locking her outside until she pees in the grass. Poor kid.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 7:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• so she dont want to pee in the grass but think of what you are doing to he confidence its not good but you really should take a bucket and you might make it where she hates camping if you keep doing what you are to her and try to come to a happy meduim kk best wishes.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010