How did you know you were ready?

My husband and I have been married for 7 years. I am 31 and he is 33. We have talked about children but always find a reason to why it's not the right time to have them. Well maybe me saying that last statment more-so than my husband. I always get so scared at the idea and feel overwhelmed. I want children *someday* but now I am starting to feel my age a bit and wondered when the real baby bug will hit.. or will it? How did you know when you were ready????

Melanie

KTaylor74

Asked by KTaylor74 at 3:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think anyone is ever "ready" For me it was an impulse thing that I have never regretted. Just look into your future. Can you be happy if you never have kids? Do you see yourself spoiling grandkids? What do you want to do when you retire? If you have a kid now you will be in in your 50s when he/she graduates high school. The longer you wait the older you will be when you have your husband to yourself again.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• We were never as ready as we thought. We waited eleven years and finally decided to try to have a baby. Well, we were pretty overwhelmed at first, but I would not change it for the world. Our daughter, now 7, is the best thing to happen to us. We would have been fine either way though.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 5:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• In my opinion you will never be ready. I think it's just one of those things that you have to do. You learn as you go and you get the mommy instinct as soon as it happens. Having a baby is the most wonderful thing ever and you just have to go ahead and do it. I was 18 years old when I had my daughter and 20 years old when I had my son, not exactly the best thing for me at the time being that I just graduated high school but I wouldn't change it for anything. They teach you so much. They are the most incredible thing that has ever happen to me. I think that they made me become a better person. By the way my daughter is 41/2 and my son is 3. Just remember that they do turn around your life, everything that you do revolves around them, and for me that is just okay.
    MyLoves041419

Answer by MyLoves041419 at 5:32 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I'm with the crowd, you're never totally ready for children. DH and I planned our daughter, and are planning our next one. I'm glad that we took the time to think and plan our pregnancy and future pregnancy. I cannot imagine dealing with the issues of unplanned pregnancy. Still, you can only plan so much. There willl always be things that "no one told you" about being a mother. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 9:20 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If you do want children some day, I would seriously start ttc. You never know if you will end up with fertility issues and the longer you put it of, it may never happen. The older you get the harder it is for you to conceive. I have 5 children, I started when I was 21 my oldest is 15 and my youngest is 3. We started trying to have another child 1 year ago (when I was 35) and have not been successful.  I am having fertility issues, that I have never had. . With all my children I tried only once and ended up pregnant and now I can't get pregnant.  I was told that I am having problems because of my age (36). So if you do want them and don't want to miss your opportunity. I wouldn't wait.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 10, 2008