preparing for preschool

My three year old son is starting preschool on Monday. I am so nervous and scared. He will be going 5 days a week for 2 and half hours. He is develomentally delayed and significantly delayed in speech. I don't know how he will react to me taking him and leaving him, because he's been home with me. The school tried to push us into a full day program bwcause of his needs, but we told them it was too much to start with. I still felt the pressure to move him. They want to revisit the idea in oct/nov. I hope it goes well the first week. AAAKKKK!!!!

CSJMommy3

Asked by CSJMommy3 at 7:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• What is the school policy for parents staying for a little bit? I know some will say it just prolongs the separation anxiety, if there is any, but some schools allow it. Just one idea........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• He will be fine. My son's preschool classmate has a speech delay. His speech has improved sooo much since he started.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• just wait and see how it goes. don't let them bully you. does he ever spend the night at family members? that helps with getting him used to be apart from you. oh one more advice, make sure you get to know the teachers real well. that helps alot.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It will be fine. My ds was 4 when I started him in school. He is autistic, but we didn't know that then. I was worried because his whole routine was going to be turned upside down. But he did well, and loved the structure of school. I'll be honest, it was harder on me than him I think lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 29, 2010