Does it bother anyone else that the government controls how we can give birth in some states?

I mean how in some states it's illegal to have an assisted home birth and things like that. Does it bother anyone else? I mean, everyone talks about how "free" we all are and things like that, but women can't even decide for themselves how to give birth? It really pisses me off that we're told how we can and can not bring our own children into this world. I know it isn't illegal in every state, but it is (or at least was last time I checked a few months ago) in a few. Am I the only one bothered by this?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally i think the goverment needs to butt out on personally matters such as this. But they are to busy focusing on the money from the OB and other medical ommunities that they don't care. they are probably scared that if women start taking their pregnancies and birth into their own hands then they will also realized that 90% on the health care system is boggus as well.

of course with the forced insurance that will not pay for alternative care i think they are realizing it's already happening.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 8:09 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm just waiting for the mandate on how MANY children we can have! And yeah, it ticks me off no end that some nameless SOB who can't even get pregnant is deciding the how's and why's and when's of an individual choice as personal as this.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No. I am also bothered by that. I prefer to have my children in a hospital with the ob/gyn but I have a very good friend that just had an at home birth with her newest addition. It would be very strange if she couldn't decide that on her own.
    Raminka

Answer by Raminka at 8:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes. I also think it is ridiculous that dr will refuse to tie someone's tubes if they are 100% done!!!!!!Just b/c someone is 26 and one child....some of us know we are done having children!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My hubby and I are very bothered by it. We wanted a water birth with both babies, but of course it isn't a standard or normal or acceptable option in this country. Plus with our second baby, I went into labor early, right before month 7. Had to stay over 2 hours away in a hospital that had a NIC unit incase I ended up delivering. But when I was sent back home at a "safe time" I went right back into labor, which they again "stopped". I then had to stay another 2.5 weeks in the hospital I was delivering in. But was I allowed to go home and be on bedrest?? NO, why??? Because I lived 22 miles from the hospital and they felt that was unsafe of a distance to get there in time. Then they ended up inducing me again (just like my first) from dangerously low amneotic fluid. Great system we have right. And we were 1000+ miles from home because we were military, so imagine the emotions I went through being seperated from my 12 month old.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, very bothered by it.
    Here in Alaska, VBAC women are not allowed to have an out of hospital birth. Any midwife that attends a VBAC at home or in a birth center can loose her license and possibly go to jail.

:( Boo!!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:11 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Every woman should have the choice. Personally, I preferred medical professionals and top notch facilities with all the emergency equipment right at the finger tips. Good thing too, because I ended up encountering an emergent situation with #1, and had I been at home she likely would have either died or suffered brain damage from hypoxia.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It bothers me that government can control anything we do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• ....Sorry. My point was, had I went home and there been "complications" and I went against what the doctors adivsed, I would have had to fight the insurance company most likely on any extra treatments that would have been needed. So I had to stay in pregnancy prison and leave my son and hubby to figure things out for themselves. Not so fun.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010