happy spitter

my daughter is 3 months old. she is always spitting up, i mean always!! no matter is she burps or not. even 2 hours after a bottle she will still spit up. but she never fusses about it, she just spits and goes on with life. her doc said at her 2 month that she was fine, she was gaining enough weight and that she was just a spitter. but i cant help but worry. could she be lactose intolerant? she is on enfamil lipil. honestly, im kinda tired of cleaning up lol. i have to wear pajamas always if im in the house, because if i put clothes on to go out, unless i leave immediately, i end up having to change! i dont mind pajamas of course but i hate having to throw clothes on as im walking out the door basically. any suggestions?

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 8:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies have a weak sphincter in the esophagus and that is normal. They all spit up. The sphincter gets stronger as the baby gets older.

If you are able to try breast milk with her, she will most likely spit up less. But if she is gaining well and is happy, you have a laundry problem, not a health issue.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• My twins were champion spitters but overall happy growing babies. We tried medicine for one of them that was worse, but didn't really notice a change. Since you are formula, have you tried a thicker formula? I watched a baby that spit up a lot and her mom switched to a thick formula and it did wonders! When mine were little though I put them in bibs first thing in the morning and just changed the bib every time they spit up instead of an entire outfit. For yourself, you could try an apron and then just take it off when you need to go out.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 8:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Some babies spit up more than others. My oldest was a spitter. It was horrible. No matter what I tried, she always spit up. One thing you can do is keep her sitting up for 20-30 minutes after she is done eating. This is supposed to help with reflux. Also, it could be the formula she is on. I'm not too familiar with formula, but that is always an idea. I wouldn't worry too much about her being lactose intolerant. There would be more symptoms than her spitting up. Keep a blanket over you if you are holding her and keep a bib on her. That will help contain the messes. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• my dd is almost 8 mths old and is a 'happy spitter'....she has spit up from day one and changing formulas to a soy and then to the one shes on now did help with a lil bit of intolerance she had and stopped the projectile vomiting and constipation but didnt help sspit up all...shes also on prevacid and it helps it from hurting bc weve done an upper gi on her and she does have severe reflux and got put on the med after she would start crying everytime she spit up....i know its a pain trust me but it does get better....my dd wore a bib all day unless she was sleeping....and changed numerous times a day as did i...she still spits up alot but it is a whole lot better than what it was...i dont think yours is lactose intolerant bc if she was she would be projectile vomiting and costipated and a whole sort of other things that are way more annoying than just spitting up..just be patient only a few more mths and itll be getting better!
    maddie12284

Answer by maddie12284 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• thank you all. i guess a little extra laundry will be the main problem :). Thats okay, I have an almost 2 year old potty training boy and a husband, so I pretty much live next to the washer anyways.
    sweetjpea

Comment by sweetjpea (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010