Do You ask your children to say a prayer before breakfast and dinner!

We do this everyday, and a friend of mine told me that she would allow her kids to decide if they want to pray before a meal. I grew up doing this, and I always felt that we should be thankful and blessed with the economy to even have food on the table. Let me hear some of your thoughts on this. Is it important or not?

ambr2006

Asked by ambr2006 at 8:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i find it very important, it shows the kids to be tankful for what they have! my dd is 21 months old and says "Amen" after i have said grace
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 8:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Not religious so nope.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I think everyone is thankful in their own ways, and saying a prayer doesn't necessarily show gratitude if it's forced. I'm not christian, though, and don't give formal thanks for anything... I just try my best to be mindful of my blessings throughout the day.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have a few single mom friends and they do not find it to be a big deal. Thanks for your thoughts on this. I try to raise my kids to be humble and thankful for what they have, and don't worry about what they don't have.
    ambr2006

Comment by ambr2006 (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Now this is the strange part. The schools do not want them doing it there. Is that wrong? I think it is.
    ambr2006

Comment by ambr2006 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We say a prayer before every meal. What I don't get is why it's so taboo to sneak a bite before prayer, or why everyone has to wait for everyone to sit, so we can pray, and then eat? Why can't the people that are there start eating and then when everyone is together we pray? Can't we be thankful even after we've started eating?
    I don't know, just my random thoughts outloud!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 8:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I am religious and so is my daughter and her dad.. But no, I don't ask her to say her prayer before meals. She does it willingly before bedtime.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 8:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• no. but I've thought of finding a secular expression of gratitude for our good fortune.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I am not religious, so no, we don't pray, but we are very thankful and appreciative.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• it's personal preference. I am not religious. we do not pray. if my daughter gets older and for some reason wants to pray, i am not going to discourage it. I grew up going to church and going to catholic schools all my life. Prayer is expected in catholic schools, it should not be forced in public ones where there are all sorts of faiths and beliefs. But if a child wants to say a silent prayer before their meal, then fine. i am thankful in my own ways.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 8:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2010