Should he have to pay?

My son apparently spilled soda on one of our library books, did his best to clean it up, but never brought the problem to anyone's attention. We returned the book not being any wiser. Come to find out we have a $16 replacement charge. I make an ass of myself because I call the library to dispute the problem, then my son confesses. It was an accident, but he tried to hide it. My husband thinks he should have to pay the replacement fee out of his allowance. Should he?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he should and tell him that if he had told you instead of hiding it this wouldnt be an issue- kids that get away with things because they hide from the truth dont turn arround one day and say "you know i am going to tell the truth today" just out of the blue- parents need to teach this - he was scared and hid the truth this is the same as lying - tell him to pay up cause he lied and next time if he tells the truth it wont be so severe cause telling the truth in the first place makes him honest and honesty pays
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 11:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes, I think he should pay or maybe just 1/2 the amount since he didn't tell anyone about it.
    littleindiana

Answer by littleindiana at 1:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• YES
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes I think he should pay it.. It will help with responsibility
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I am wondering how old your son is? If he is a teenager, i would definately have him pay for the book out of his savings. If he is just a little guy, my answer would be different. Accidents happen, but the real concern is that he wasn't responsible and didn't fess up and come to you when it happened.
    April1961

Answer by April1961 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i think it depends on his age.

maybe make him pay just cause he hid this from you and maybe next time he'll talk with you about it, then you can discuss what you should do then together. accidents do happen unfortunatly. (maybe get book insurance? LOL)
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 4:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• If he had told me upfront, there would be no concern. He is 6 and generally very open with his mistakes or accidents. I am not sure what this one here is about, why he tried to hide it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Yes he should!!! Kids need to learn responsibility. My oldest son got silly putty on his brand new school uniform sweater last fall, after wearing it for less than a week. He had $15 to his name and I made him take that $15 and give it to his dad and apologize for not taking better care of the clothes that his dad has to work hard to pay for. Those school uniforms aren't cheap!! I told him if the silly putty didn't come out of the sweater we were using his $15 to buy a new one. If it came out, he would get his money back.Thankfully, it did come out. He had thrown his sweater on top of the silly putty which was lying out on top of his desk, which I considered to be completely irresponsible. It would have been different if he had spilled food or something on it, but he was just being careless. Since then, he's been more careful and silly putty and playdoh have been banned from our house.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• if he is old enough to get allowance then I think he is old enough to pay for his own things. Including his accidents, problems and wants.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• If your child is old enough to earn money on his own, then make your son pay for part of it. If not, what i would do is take my child to the library and have him apologize for what he did. They may just take the replacement fee off for that. If they dont, pay it and explain to him in terms that he can understand and relate to why lying or not disclosing something like that can be bad. If you feel the need to punish him, take something away from him that he says he cant live without, like a video game. Take it away for awhile. Tell him why you have done this and stick to it.
    dunkley4

Answer by dunkley4 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2008