okay if this was happening to what would you do ???

okay my 5 month old dd has been really fussy lately and shes breastfed and ive been thinking she hasnt been getting enough so i gave her formula and she seems happy and fuller with formula okay so my question is would you rather deal with a fussy baby and breastfeed or happy baby and formula feed ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• happy baby wins everytime!!
    bcmommy0829

Answer by bcmommy0829 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Formula isn't an option in my house... it's almost a dirty word in regards to my children. I don't think it makes anyone less an awesome mother, but I hate the stuff and don't want my kids on it.

I would find other ways to soothe my baby. If you have a supply problem there are ways to correct it. Even if I really couldn't produce enough I would rather use donor milk. Just me though.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• try talking to a lactating specialist or your doc 1st before u switch it may be something u miss..
    but i was happier formula feeding anyways
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 8:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• A happy baby is the ultimate goal, but have you tried talking to a lactation consultant?
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You don't have to choose one or the other - do both. I did that for the first few months of my sons life and my milk did end up finally coming in enough to stop with the formula. I would nurse first, and when he started to cry I'd switch to a bottle. I never, ever fed him a bottle without nursing him first. That way my supply didn't decrease, but he still got full. And he was happy, and is still breastfeeding at 19 months :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i had the same problem! i just couldn't produce enough for my oldest. but with my second kid i was given this tea called mothers milk and it helped me big time. its by traditional medicinals. give it try. they have their own websight if you want to check it out. i say go for it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• She is probably hitting a growth spurt. Just feed more often (on demand) so your milk supply responds and increases. I've never used formula, but I make WAY too much milk in the beginning so I pump off the extra and freeze it. When they hit a growth spurt I supplement with a bottle of breast milk and then pump extra so I make more and can go back to just nursing and they stay full while I'm adjusting supply.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 8:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would rather deal with a happy baby and know that my child was getting the nourishment they need.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• What happens if you breast feed first and then if still fussy, give her some formula? Happy baby is definitely good (and I'm not against formula... my son drank his share), so do what it takes for now. But definitely try talking with someone (my instinct is doctor... I haven't had much luck with lactation consultants) to try to figure out why this could be. Maybe something you are eating doesn't sit well with her? Maybe your supply is an issue? It's good to seek out the opinions of professionals.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It's your baby, your decision. You thought your baby wasn't getting enough, so you gave her something else and that made her happier. Is there anything more important than that? Would you rather know that your baby is getting what she needs and wants, even though it is not from you? I think that is the most important thing. I am all for a mom doing what is best for her baby, even if it means formula. You can try talking to a specialist, by that doesn't mean that your baby will still be able to get enough. You can try feeding more often, if it is nursing is so important to you, or you can just give her some formula. No matter what you choose to do, good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 8:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010