a muslim who is a daycare teacher

i have a question first as salamm alakium i'm working a daycare that is secular and we had a staff meeting. the director said we willhave a halloween party this year for the kids. as a muslim we don't celebrate holidays except islamic ones of course so i wanted to know who do i go about this for one this is my job two i'm muslim three it is optional according and i can make alternatives for the holiday for example halloween can be harvest day can anyoone who has experience inthis tell me how they went about this and this question is open to all muslim and christians because christian aren't suppose to celebrate it either.

momwa6

Asked by momwa6 at 7:20 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• We usually have an alternative such as a harvest fest. When I worked in an office and halloween came around I did not participate... I either went out to lunch during there dress up times and/or took the day off. My co-workers new I did not celebrate halloween and they undesrtood that and respected it.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• REALY! This is for the kids and if you have such a problem with the celebration take the day off. I am tired of trying to please everybody else in this country. Sorry if I am not PC about it. but remember its about the kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I guess my question is how would the parents and children in your class feel if they are the only ones NOT having a "halloween" party. That's where I kind of agree with the first answer. If you decide to do a harvest party, are the children going to be dressing up? This also leads to the question about any other holidays the facility will be celebrating, ie Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day...
    As far as Christians not celebrating the holiday...I am torn about this. The significance of trick or treating is to dress up "scary" and mimic the pagan belief of the dead rising and roaming the earth that particular day (that is what I've been told, so don't quote me). Therefore we don't trick or treat or do scary costumes, but I think it can be a fun time to dress up as something non scary and participate in the harvest aspect of the day.
    Have you asked some other Muslim mommies? Maybe they can offer more insight.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Halloween is not a religious holiday, it a cultural one--like Thanksgiving, New Years, Valentines Day and 4th of July...

Samhain on the other hand is, if you are pagan.

So if you are present while your kids are dressed up, playing games and eating candy, you aren't celebrating anything religious...I promise, that is not what Samhain is at all about.

And actually, a Harvest party would be far more in keeping with the spirit of Samhain than a Halloween party.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:56 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I have nothing nice to say...I'll keep it to myself
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:59 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i read the response and only as a muslim who is in her faith i can't celebrate any holidays except for islamic ones. as a teacher in my profession i have to be creative for the children and this is a daycare not public school. all i'm asking for is how to be creative without going aganist my beliefs that's all no more no less and by thw way i work with infants but that is no guarentee because job ges by ratio so if i'm not needed for that section then they put me in a section where i'm needed and if those kid are older how to i accomdate them as well.i'm not being ignaorant but if you are in a religion you have to respect what your religion stands for .
    momwa6

Answer by momwa6 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i agree with the poster saying that it is cultural. in europe, they don't really celebrate halloween the way America does, but it is celebrated in a way. many christian do participate in it and many do not believe it is against their faith. (some do, not all and actually parts of halloween have christian roots) No one is saying YOU have to partake in it it... just host it for the kids, if it is ok with the parents and all. you don't need to dress up and you can regulate what the kids come as. no goblins, witches, devils etc. you can make sure they dress up like princesses, disney characters, nickolodean charaters, etc. it is just a fun time for the kids and that needs to be remembered.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• do a harvest fest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Honestly, I worked in a daycare, long ago, and truly I don't see anyway around it. Say you stated and well aware of your primary classroom is the infant room, and you can plan an "harvest party", but their is NO guarantee that you will be in 'your' room. You very well could be moved to a room that needs your help, to keep the children to adult ratio correct. It truly is numbers game.... Personally knowing how day-cares work, I don't see any way around it for you. So I best advise to you is what a previous poster said. Stay Home that day; OR depending on your boss and how open she/he may be. Tell them about your beliefs and your concern not so much with your classroom (infants) but with being asked to go to other rooms; perhaps you can request NOT to be assigned to another room that day. (If there is someone else that can go: if you are the only one left, then you are going to have to do it, unless you stay home that day)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• As for the original poster I dont know
    Christians don't celebrate Halloween,after seeing this many times on CM I asked my Lutheran Pastor his thoughts and as a dad and a Pastor he believes in Halloween/trick or treat,... as good family fun.Our church even wanted to have a Halloween party but there is a wedding scheduled and then we talked about having an after Halloween party but the older women thought that was too much candy for the kids,Robin
    ilovecoffee95

Answer by ilovecoffee95 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2008