Elimination Communication.

My DD is 7 weeks and I am thinking about trying it. Have you done it? How did it go? Did you pee you child when you were out or just at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Princessbeth79 doesn't know what she's talking about. I suppose we must be all "trained" circus poodles because we know when our children are hungry and feed them. I think it would be more true to say that the diaper companies have trained the consumer to think they need their products from swaddlers to swimmers to pull-ups for 3-5 years.

I've done EC from birth and have had great success. It's the traditional way of seeing to a baby's potty needs. It is NOT "potty training" the way people train older children.

Here is my journal:

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Princessbeth79 what do you think women in traditional societies do? They can't exactly run to the 7-11 to pick up a pack of Luvs. Natural infant hygiene is PROVEN to work...it has ALWAYS worked. The knowledge of it has simply been lost in the west, much like breastfeeding was nearly a lost art.

The studies you refer to are talking about modern potty training that used PUNISHMENTS and PRESSURE and other nasty practices like tying children to potty chairs or having rigid schedules. That's not what elimination communication is at all. It is offering babies the opportunity to eliminate when they signal to do so. It is about nurturing their NATURAL behaviors. A baby knows when they are hungry and they also know when they need to urinate or defecate. Just because most people have forgotten how to listen doesn't mean they aren't communicating. The USA pottys children extremely late compared to other cultures
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sounds like way too work for me. I have 4 kids. If I only had 1, I would consider it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i don't understand this question. what are planning to do with the 7week old?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• You have to be really in tune with your baby and intuitive. I did it with my youngest before it had a name (1988).  I was also sick most of the first year of his life and spent most of my time in bed with him. Paying attention to what he was doing was pretty much all I did.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• imo that is just training the parent instead of vice versa. a waste of time to me and i did read a study that said kids who began potty training very early were fully independant (go potty by themselves, etc.) on average 3 months OLDER than their peers who began potty training at 2-3 yo. so i think it's a waste of time and energy and is proven to not work.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010