what are the odds

ok..my daughter has a mental illness--identity disorder
my older sister suffers from a mental illness also same thing
my younger sister suffers from schizophrenia

my sister has a teen daughter herself, 2 sons
i have 4 myself..2 girl an 2 boys..
my SO other has a son who suffers from a mental illness an a older brother who suffers from it..

what are the odds that either of my last 2 will suffer from a mental illness...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Health

• Mental illness does tend to run in families - there are some known connections. But I have no idea what specifically the odds are without researching it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well it depends on if the illness is inhereted or not. some are caused by environmental factors, well there are lots of different causes. you could go see a genetic counselor if you're concerned
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Some mental illnesses are hereditary (for instance, if both your sister and daughter have the same illness then that could easily be genetic) and so I wouldn't rule out the possibility. However, I wouldn't assume that they will - see what happens and look at them as individuals.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 8:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'd say there is a relatively good chance that your children could develop one. Mental illnesses seem to be very common in your family. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 8:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I adopted with both bio parents having mental illness.....I used to be worried I could "trigger" something in her by letting her cry in her crib or flip out. But I can't mother her as if she might one day she might get like that. I was told she has a 30 percent chance of one condition, but they don't really know what a child might carry~

If you have a schizophrenia risk factor possible I was coached not to send girls far off to college...the boys might develop the disease still in high school, but girls tend to change in college.

I was also coached to go for meds with schizophrenia at the very start of the disease so as not to let the brain get so far "out of tune".....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would say more than 50%. Since it is prevalent on both sides of the family, your chances will probably be greater than the general population. But there is the other 50% that they may not get it, with luck, maybe you'll get lucky and not have any more problems in your family. Good Luck!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010