Which is healthier for hair: air dry or blow dry??

If you use a blow dryer on cold vs. letting hair air dry. Which is better for someone is growing out thier hair and trying to keep it healthy?

Does staying wet do anything to hair? Does blow drying still hurt it if you use the cold setting?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Air Drying is always healthier... Blow drying causes damage, even on a cold setting because it wicks the water away from the hair rather than allowing it to dry naturally - when it can absorb some of the moisture...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I always love how my hair comes out when I towel dry it....I twist my hair up and keep it on top of my head for a couple hours and walk around and do whatever I have to do....and when it's close to almost dry I let it down, brush it out and let it air dry the rest of the way. I think it may be the natural heat from my head caught in the towel when it's up that makes it soft and shiny...I love it...you should try it sometime! Best thing of all it doesn't damage your hair like using a hair dryer would! :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 9:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• if you use it on the cold setting they are about equal.. because you aren't breaking any salt bonds..
    but you'll be sitting there a long time..

honestly if you use a decent thermal protectant go ahead and use the blow dryer (on medium heat). .. try using a concentrator with it to prevent burning your hair with the nozzle.. and blow dry WITH the cuticle not against it.. That's the biggest mistake a lot of people do when blowdrying.. (pointing the blow dryer up into your hair, ruffing up the cuticle).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• and yes keeping water in your hair does stuff to it. you actually break bonds that way too.. but they go back together when dry so it's no biggy really.

just don't blow it bone dry while blow drying.. it can cause it to frizz.. because you are then drying out the natural coating to your hair.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:19 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Air dry, blowing dry gives too much heat that can cause damage to hair.
    SultryLadyBug

Answer by SultryLadyBug at 3:05 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Unless it's cold out side and must dry your hair then I see no reason to blow dry. Air dry is always better. The one benefit from using cold air is if you come out of a hot shower. The cold air will close the cuticle of the hair and will help your hair from getting frizzy if you have that problem
    BkMommy2be

Answer by BkMommy2be at 9:39 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It is always best to let hair air dry. Even on cold setting it is still damaging to your hair. It is good to keep hair wet to keep it hydrated
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 10:22 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Air drying is always best (health wise). Heat damages, a lot.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• air dry
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:26 AM on Aug. 29, 2010

• Air Dry. I hardly ever blow dry my hair unless I want some more volume (which I dont need.. lol) or a special occasion.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:43 AM on Aug. 29, 2010