Rottweiler as a family dog?

Hubby wants a Rott. I don't want any dogs...yet. But if I were to agree to the huge responsibility of a dog does anybody know if a Rotty is a good family dog? We have 3 kids, the youngest is 6. We have a large back yard.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 9:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Pets

• They are awesome dogs in families that can exercise the crap out of them. They are rambunctious puppies.

They will guard the children and the yard. They might bite a non-family member to protect the children. They are so very protective of children.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:04 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well, if you don't want a dog are you really going to be happy with any dog he wants? Rots are great dogs and if they are trained from a puppy and taken care of, they are wonderful dogs for a family! Rots are no more or less good dogs than just about any other if they are brought up right. But yes, ANY dog is going to be a lot of work...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• He's 100% aware that we are not bringing a dog into the family until everyone wants it. I know I would be the one doing the majority of the care such as walking, playing, feeding, cleaning up after it etc. I have had animals all my life which is why I know that I am not prepared to have a dog.
    I was simply wondering if they are good family dogs if I ever decide that I am ready to take on another family member.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• As long as at least one of you is an experienced dog owner (Preferably experienced with a working breed like a Rott, Dobe, German Shepherd, etc) a Rotty would be a fine family dog. Females are usually a little easier. We have a 95lb male Doberman and he's great with our 2 year old DD :)

Just make sure everyone wants the dog, everyone participated in the raising, care, and training, socialize the puppy REALLY well, take it to obedience classes, make sure it gets a lot of exercise (more than just running around your yard), etc.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We had family who had a rot, it was the sweetest dog ever. It wanted to be a lap dog so bad, lol. It even took care of these kittens it found, carried 'em around and everything. But it comes down to the individual dog and how its raised. And you'd want to find a reputable breeder, too, unless you get one from a shelter that clears their dogs for families. Some shelters will say whether a dog should be around children or other animals, etc. It just depends on the dog itself and what's its been through in its life. How a dog is raised is very important.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Rotties are very intelligent and loyal dogs. Females especially are very protective of what they consider their family- even more so if you get it as a puppy. If you do decide to go with a rottweiler, make sure it is a legitimate breeder and parents are good temperment. Spend lots of time with the dog before buying it to make sure it is a fit for you and your family. Years ago my boyfriend at the time and I bought a rottweiler with some defects so she wasn't show or breeding quality, but a very gentle and loving dog! I was more upset about losing her than the boyfriend when the relationship ended!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 9:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We have a rottie mix and she is the sweetest thing.She plays a bit rough sometimes so training is always a good idea.Any dog can be a good family dog as long as they are treated well and have good training.
    Cloud_Dancer09

Answer by Cloud_Dancer09 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Rotties are great family pets as long as you know what you are doing and are willing to put the time in to socialize and train them. THis of course goes for any dog. Rotties are on of my favorite breeds. I use dto pet sit one that knew something was differant about my sister (she is MR) and looked out for her and would even sleep with her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• It's not the breed of dog, it's how they are raised. I had a pit for years, that was an amazing dog! My neighbor had a Rottie and he was super sweet and loving. I think they are great dogs for family. Though if you don't want a dog, then I wouldn't get one. You both have to decide to get a dog. 

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• they are good pets my bestfriend has one and she is good wth kids and she loves everyone
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 29, 2010