Green Cleaners

Is there anywhere on line where I can buy decently priced green cleaning products that are REALLY green?

I HATE vinegar, the smell makes me gag! And I feel like my house is dirtier after I clean with it because it stinks so bad! I like the Clorox Green line, but I am sure there are greener options out there. A lot of people have told me to try 7th Generation, but I can't find it locally. I have researched Shakelee and Melaleuca and neither are really that green, plus I've had allergic reactions to them.

On the other hand, I don't have $45 to spend on toilet bowl cleaner either...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Vinegar does smell bad, but I dilute it in a spray bottle, and the smell does go away. I also run it through my coffee maker and believe me the odor is gone, or I wouldn't be able to drink coffee from the machine!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Have you tried the Earth Friendly brand?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do use vinegar, but I have used Seventh Generation and Method. Both available at Target. Where I am, they are also in the grocery store and often go on sale.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• We don't have a Target here... Just WalMart, and I've never been able to find 7th or Method anywhere... The only Green one I know of is the Clorox ones, which I do love, but I was looking for something that might be greener... I RARELY use cleaners, usually I just use water, but sometimes it's a must.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Sabrina, I use vinegar to clean with and it only smells until it drys...then no lingering odor. Its purpose is it is a natural degreaser. I actually don't use it straight. Mine is mixed with water, some borax, lavender essential oil and tea tree oil. Since I managed to find tea tree oil in my grocery store I've fallen in love with that stuff. I keep it in a spray bottle diluted with water to kill mold and mildew. Works as good if not better than bleach! For toilets I just sprinkle with borax, give it a scrub and a flush! For windows and counters I use 2 cups of water, 2 cups of 91% isopr. alcohol and 3 tbs. of vinegar. It kills everything and windows and mirrors are sparkly clean!.... I'm surprised that you can't find 7th generation or Method at your local grocery store. We have all of them. I think they are way to over priced.... Good luck in your quest... :)
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 11:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I use Melaleuca Ecosense products, they come concentrated and you just add water. They are eco-friendly too.
    I love them. Have you ever ruined a shirt when cleaning something with a bleach cleaner? Well not with these products, same effect but no bleach.
    catchthewave

Answer by catchthewave at 1:10 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I'm allergic to Tea Tree, Orange & Pine Oils, as well as Chlorine and a few other chemicals. Which was part of the reason I wanted to go more green.

As for Mela, I will NOT use Melaleuca, I would prefer not clean. They are a very deceitful company and their products are NOT green... They advertise them that way, but until they are willing tell us what's in them and prove that they are green, I MAY start to believe it. But after working with them and using the products myself (and being allergic to most of them) as well as doing some research on their claims there's not a chance I could every use them... Sorry, but that's a rant point!

Does anyone know if I can find 7th generation or something like it online?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• I prefer Super Green. I know there is some controversy over the product but I find it's a better cleaner than many other 'green' cleaners and is non-toxic. The plus side for me is that my hands can handle it. I have a form of eczema and I'm very sensitive to many chemicals but not this product.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010