Do you DESERVE forgiveness?

I"ve read numerous times that people are forgiven by their god for their sins, even though they do not deserve it. Why don't you deserve to be forgiven for being human? Your god created you, faults and all....why would't you deserve to be forgiven for that?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think some things are unforgivable.
    Killing someone, no one needs to be forgiven for that.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• clever question...
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Killing someone and simply being born a human with faults are two different things. I am talking about people faltering to the idea that their sinful selves are not worthy of Jesus' sacrifice for themselves.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thats hard to say... I dont think anyone can know for sure, thats up to God. War is talked about in the bible, god even backed wars. So if you go to war and kill someone are you a sinner? Who's to tell if god is behind the war. What about innocent bystanders?
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 9:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• IDK. Jesus died for everyone's sins. I was taught growing up the only sin not forgiven was suicide. I guess because you don't get the chance to ask for forgiveness before you die when you do it? We may not forgive murder, or rape, or think they deserve forgiveness. But it's up to God in the end, not us. In the end, it's not us that gets to make the ultimate decision on forgiveness. Not in speaking in terms of God anyway. In speaking of personal terms, sure.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I believe if you don't deserve to be forgive you aren't . It's fine to make mistakes, God forgives you as long as you try to make them right, and feel remorse for you're wrong doings.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree. The idea of sin and needing to be forgiven by the God Who made us fallible doesn't fit into my beliefs. I see things more in terms of cultivating our spirituality rather than in sin/punishment. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Oh, and obviously I reject ideas like Original sin and the inherent wickedness of man. I believe, instead, that we are all born pure with the divine potential to live up to the ideal of humanity - in being loving, gracious people (Christ-like, some could say, but its an oversimplification). We can choose to cultivate this potential or not, but I don't think it really has anything to do with sin or wickedness. That's kind of how the cultivating our spirituality comes into it...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• god is the only one who can answer that
    mamaD98

Answer by mamaD98 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Everyone knows that a proper slave must be conditioned with regular threats and browbeating. When the master kindly forgives you for the sin he himself made up, the slave must accept that he really doesn't DESERVE to be forgiven, but massa is showing love and kindness by giving it anyway. A slave who feels worthy of being treated like a REAL human being is not going to be a very good slave. He will actually start expecting something a little more substantial from his master than a lot of smoke and mirrors and mealy-mouthing.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2010