What type of punishment or life lesson lectures can I give my 15 yr old for lying straight to my face?

He was suppose to go to soccer camp last week that cost me $55 & come to find out that he only went one day. Everyday I would as him how it went & he would lie straight to my face about the different things they did.

Asked by littleindiana at 1:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• My first thought is that he would need to earn the money to pay me back.

Answer by idahospaz at 1:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I guess the next camp or activity that he wants to do is "gone"!!! Find some brochures and say could have went here, but you lied and now you are camping at home.

• first, he needs to pay you back immediately for the cost of the camp. Secondly, no more camps. Period. Tell him it is because he can't be trusted. Talk to him about how important it is that you have a relationship of trust with him. Also, does he have a cell phone, computer, etc? I would take the cell phone away, period. Also, I would ground him from the computer for like...the rest of the summer. That ought to hit him where he lives.

Answer by April1961 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• i'd lock him up make him a slave!!! LMAO!! if my son is gonna abuse his freedom then he's gonna lose his freedom.

Answer by dannersmell at 4:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Was it his idea to attend the soccer camp or was it something that was chosen for him? That makes a difference in a young man's attitude toward it. If it was his idea and he asked for the money I'd make him work it off and in the future if he wanted to attend another camp he can plan for it and get a summer job or do odd jobs to earn the money. Teach him the value of money. Don't just give it to him because you can.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• make him pay for it first of all and let him know you don't beleive or trust him until he earns it back.

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• he would have to pay me back and since he did not go where dhe was supposed to and lied about it I would no longer trust him. he would be grounded for a week then everytime he went somewhere for the next month he would have to have an adult call me and let me know he made it there ok. he was embarrassed by it all but I told my sons friends parents I was worried about him and I wanted him to be safe so just to be sure I needed them to call me so I knew where he was.

Answer by Lyndall at 10:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• if he went the first day, did you ever think that maybe there was a reason he didnt go back. maybe something happened with the other kids. Talk to him.

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I have found that the best cure for lying is boredom.Find his currency,then take it away.Video game machine,t.v.,computer,phone,whatever it is.Try not to over do it.Let the punishment fit the infraction.Kids know when you are overreacting.Also,if he cost you money make him pay you back at min wage. Have him do chores that he doesn't normally do.As far as trust,I firmly believe kids make mistakes. They are not little adults. Trust your son. Tell him that you trust him and that he disappointed you.That statement is a powerful one to a child.Tell him you are going to continue to trust him and have him tell you out loud that your trust is important to him.Sometimes they need to hear themselves say something for it to be a reality.

Answer by twobebes1mom at 7:27 AM on Jul. 3, 2008