When to start?

I was wondering when other people started giving their babies juice from a sippy cup. And maybe some tips on how to introduce it to my son. He's 6 months old. Any advice will be helpful. Thank You.

HuntersMom4908

Asked by HuntersMom4908 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just started to give my baby juice- 1 ounce juice to 1 ounce water in a regular bottle. She'll be 7 months this weekend. I've read that the earlier you introduce a sippy cup, the easier it is to ease them off a bottle, but I am going to wait a few more weeks before we give her a cup.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 9:03 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My son is also six months and the doc told me I could give a little bit of baby apple juice b/c he is kinda constipated, but as for the sippy cup I just put some water in one of the Nippy sippy cups and handed it to him and let him figure out how to hold it and it worked pretty well, but he also likes to put everything in his mouth so that helps too, but ones he tried to put it in his mouth and I showed him which part to put in he got the hang of it pretty quickly, but remember that each child is different and learns at there own pace, so take your time he will get it :)
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 9:04 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My DS started drinking juice @ 6 months from a bottle.....I introduced a soft mouthpiece sippy cup to him at 9 months..Now he drinks from a hard mouthpiece sippy cup.
    ...he will be 1 on the 28th.

He still drinks formula before naps and bedtime from a bottle though. But all other drinks only go in sippy cups now.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 9:58 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• sippy cup I just gave him his milk in there first. Than I gave him water and at the end of six months water with a slash of juice.
    christian0425

Answer by christian0425 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i started giving my daughter the sippy cup as soon as she was able to hold it i put equal amounts of juice and water in it and slowly laid off the water til she was used to the juice
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I started around 6-7 months with all my kids, tried a variety of cups/ways - the two oldest picked up on it quick using a hard-spout without the valve - no valve so it dripped out so the realized they had to suck when the valve was in. 3rd I used a soft-spout Nuby - and she weaned herself off the bottle at 9 months, took her formula from the sippy til she was 1. My son's first sippy was a Nuk, and he got the hang of it really quick but the Nuk was slow, so we tried a Gerber with a soft spout - he loved it! I started giving them all juice around 6-7 months too, watered down half&half with water - not the baby juice either, cuz that's already watered down. None drank much juice til a year though. Even if they just want to play with the sippy, it's good to give it to them so they learn it's a good thing - and the earlier they get used to it, the easier it is to wean off the bottle, IMO.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 3:37 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I started trying sippy cups w/ Cal at around 6-7 months... a splash of juice in a cup of water.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 10, 2008