Would you donate to a fundraiser if you knew it was for a homeschool?

Today a little boy came up to my car while at the pump and asked me if I wanted to help him with his school fundraiser. He was selling peanut brittle candy bars for $3/ea. I bought his candy and thought that it might not be a bad idea to try myself. I could use the money to fund educational field trips that would normally be to expensive.
Would you donate to a homeschool fundraiser? Why or why not?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 9:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• no because there would be no way of knowing that the money is actually going toward the education and not just the parents pimping out their kids (which i have seen done before.... parents got busted by taking their kids to collect money for the 'football team', but it was not authorized and the parents were just keeping the money). i would just be cautious because it is not regulated and unless i knew you personally, there would be no guarantee that the money was being used how you described it.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• No.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't donate anything becuase I don't have the money for things like that but if they sold something I wanted/ needed I might buy it depending on the price
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well what garuntees your money with any other educated fundraiser. How do you ever know if the money you pass to the football kid, Mason member, or car wash fundraiser is ever doing ACTUAL good?
    sugahmamma

Comment by sugahmamma (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• YES! I buy things that benefit public schools (which my kids don't use) so why wouldn't someone who's child attends a public school do the same for my child that is homeschooled? But, in all honesty, I would have my kids do homeschool fundraisers because people are so mean and hateful to homeschool kids when they do things like this. Kudos to you for helping out a a homeschooler!you rock

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• because there are more people involved for the money to be held accountable. there is community awareness of the event, and obviously there are people overseeing the process, anticipating the proceeds (ie. you sign up for x amount of candy, you bring back a certain number of left overs.... you better come up with the correct amount of money). the fundraisers are usually toward a specific goal.... not just a general fund, therefore i can decide if i think the cause is worthy or not. sure, there can be dishonest people that might try to take some money or fix the totals, but usually they get caught because there is supervision. with homeschooling there is not anyone besides you and your kid, so i would be less likely to trust you since you will not be held accountable by anyone and it would be hard to prove that you're being dishonest.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• "with homeschooling there is not anyone besides you and your kid"

Not true. Many homeschoolers belong to associations that are just as large as some public schools. Most of the fundraisers you see are for these associations or co-ops.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• but would that be proven at the time of the fundraiser?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Yes, if you ask I'm sure someone would be more than happy to explain it to you. But, do you ask for proof when a kid comes to sell you something telling you it's for a public school? We live 3 blocks from a local grade school and got hit up for 7 fundraisers last year alone (that was the kids coming to our house, not the ones at Walmart, etc). I never asked the kids to prove that they were selling for a school.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• well, i thought you were asking about me and who i was asking for proof? schools around here have banned door to door sales, so if someone came knocking on my door that would be a dead giveaway. they do carwashes, bake sales, carnivals, etc. here and there is always staff there with them if there are any questions. and usually the fundraisers are on schoolgrounds anyway, so i'm not seeing your point
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2010