Mamas in school, I have a few questions for you

These are all just to get your opinion on things, basically like a survey or something.

When you take notes, do you write front and back, or just front? I'm iffy about just using front because of the amount of paper, but then I also highlight a lot and stuff like that, and sometimes it bleeds through the paper.

Also, if you had a class where all of your major notes were available online to be printed, but it was going to be many more pages to print than to just handwrite them (they're presented in class in Power Point), would you write or print? I personally prefer to write because it also helps me retain information better.

Lastly, wide or college ruled paper lol? Just curious to see what everyone likes. I prefer college for most things.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

• I just finished a year-long nursing course, and I was salutatorian. I always pre-read the material before class, and printed the Power Point slides six to a page as you have described, then took notes on the slides during lectures.  After class, I went over my notes and re-checked the textbook and filled in any missing information.  Most classes nowadays provide blueprints of the material to be covered on exams; I would take the notes and arrange them according to topic on the computer, print the whole shebang and use them when studying with my study groups.  Eventually, everyone was doing this, and everybody's grades went up dramatically.  Good luck!

Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:43 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• Well if writing your own notes helps you to retain the information I'd stick with that method, it'll make revision easier when it comes to it! I write front and back because it seems like such a waste only to use one side of the paper, but I have started buying better quality paper (nothing too expensive just not the cheapest paper possible!) because I've found that ink doesn't tend to link through the page which means you can happily use both sides without your notes getting wrecked.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 9:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree if you need to write to retain the info than that is the best way to go. I also write on both sides of the paper. I don't go crazy highlighting so it doesn't bleed through and I take an enormous amount of notes so it really would be a waste for me if I didn't. I get whatever is cheaper. I think it is college ruled from walmart for $1.58. I can't see spending $5 or $10 on a notebook.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I write front only. They have highlighters that don't bleed, I have some I bought at my last school. They are eco friendly. You can print power point presentations with 2,4,6 pages on one page. My chem instructor had us print them out, and the school had a shit fit about how much paper we used sometimes. So I'd print putting 6 slides on each paper. I could still see. I think it was 6. Try and see how many work, if you want to go that route sometimes. Sometimes I use college, sometimes it's wide. For math and chem, it was wide. For all else, college ruled.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• When I'm being organized, I actually only write on one side of a piece of paper. It helps me later when I'm studying if I can spread out the notes all around me and see everything without flipping things over. I'm no longer in college, and I still prefer this.

I would print and then write notes in the margins. I can't say if this is the most effective way or not for retaining information. It also helps that I had free printing.

As for wide rule or college rule... for myself, I usually use whichever is smaller (I believe it's college), but if there is a major difference in price, I use whichever is cheaper.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 9:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• i use both sides of the paper. i am thinking of actually typing my notes this semester and then just reprinting and revising at home. last semester i use to retype my notes but i stopped doing that mid semester. it was only for one class but i think i am better typing and then reprinting because i have such horrible handwriting but like college rule. i usually just try to rewrite if i don;t type it out.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I record and then type them up. If I write them I only use one side of the paper.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I do front only. I hardly use a highlighter. I print the notes and add my own and use a personal recorder. College.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• From a teacher's perspective, it probably is a good idea to come (if you can) with pre-reading of the section to be covered and pre-prepped notes from the book, that way you're just supplementing something you've already done - I try to do this with my high school kids, but they really don't like reading and taking notes before I've gone over something - I hope college level can handle. FYI - I'm a chem teacher so if you need help let me know :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 11:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If I'm in class I prefer to hand write because I retain information better that way. I do it on front and back, college-ruled. I don't worry about highlighting cause if I write it down it's important and should be highlighted so I just assume the whole thing is and highlight none of it! I'm taking most of my classes online so it's a whole other format though. I have to teach myself the whole thing using the resources provided and textbooks. I highlight most my textbooks, find I RARELY write anything down other than if I'm creating a study guide.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:17 AM on Aug. 28, 2010