Has anyone ever taken fake brick off of a wall. I have it in the kitchen and my husband if afraid it will ruin the wall and cause a big expense. I hate it and itching to remove it. Bad idea or what?

biscotti53

Asked by biscotti53 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Depends on if it's nailed/screwed down or glued down....if it's glued you would probably have to redo the sheet rock afterward. Could you paint it to minimize the ugly? Or sheetrock over top of it to save the demo time? If you feel handy....you could take joint compound and fill in the cracks, sand it and then paint...you should end up with a smooth wall.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• We removed it from one full wall inour kitchen. It was very hard to repair the wall. We ended up replacing 75% ofthewall where we had removed it. If you know how to do drywall work go for it. Drywall is actually very inexpensive costing around $10.00 per sheet.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Here's something I do know about! My dad used to do drywall, plastering and fake brick (before he retired).. Chances are that it is made out of stucco material. The put a thick layer on the wall and then take a level and "cut" the brick. Then they even "color" the brick with different colors so that appears realistic. To put that much material on the wall they have to staple wire lathe to the drywall, block, or whatever wall material you have under all that. So here's what's going to happen if you try to knock that "brick" off. Its going to come off in chunks and you are going to have to get it all off, Then you will have to rip all the wire lathe out (which remember is stapled into the wall) which will rip holes into your walls. You will end up having to put up new drywall and then of course have it all finished up. It will be pretty expensive.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If you can put up your own drywall, you will still want something on the drywall like plaster that you can paint, that's where it starts to get really pricey. If you are willing to learn, maybe Home Depot offers some classes on doing it though. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I took it off a wall in my kitchen. Of course, I had put it up so I knew it was just stuck on with mortar. I took my time; I was very careful when I took it off, so all I had to do was plaster some rough spots and paint. Then I ended up putting up tile because I did't like how stained the paint got from cooking. If you plan to put up another type of backsplash, you don't have to worry so much about how the wall with look underneath.
    MimiL

Answer by MimiL at 9:18 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• When I remodeled my kitchen, I ripped out the tile backsplash. Looked awful when I was done! Being tight on $$, I used sheetrock compound, slathered it over the area, then "rough textured it", using paint brush, a rag, a sponge. When dry, I painted it. I chose a medium-dark gray, then used black and white in various tones and just smudged it on here and there - the effect I was trying to get was a faux "granite" look! It ended up looking quite nice and was inexpensive! People would comment it looked like stone until I told them what I did and they looked really close. I updated a bathroom and ripped out the tile wainscot and ended up "rough texturing" the entire room! This time I merely painted it with a turquoise enamel. It was gorgeous. The "rough texture" hid all the imperfections and since it was rough textured, I didn't have to worry about smoothing anything out!
    suzeebloch

Answer by suzeebloch at 9:39 AM on Oct. 12, 2008