I want to dress more maturely but none of my peers do...

I am a senior in high school this year and school starts in a week. I am shopping this Sunday and my dad just bought me a polo shirt and two suit-like jacket/blazers (he is a teacher at my school and was shopping for his new clothes). They fit and look nice and I would like to buy more mature clothing but everyone else dresses in t-shirts and jeans and when I wear things different people look at me strange and avoid me. How can I get over them being rude and dress how I want? How can I act with more confidance?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in

• If you think you look good then ignore them! You're your own person and, let's face it, they may act confident but none of them have the guts to dress even slightly 'out of the norm'. Anyone that makes a fuss about a blazer or a shirt really isn't worth your attention.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 9:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Dress to impress. More mature dressing will help you in your future so I think it's a good thing you are dressing up a bit. Disregard your peers for the most part. I know that's easier said than done, but high school won't last forever (One more year it sounds like!) and no one will ever remember you dressing nicer than them. Ha!

You do need to be confident in your clothes. Hold your head high, smile kindly and genuinely, and do your thing. :)
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• be different. . .=]
    chriskris

Answer by chriskris at 9:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm not even sure why I am afraid to be different. I dont really have friends to lose because I am so different already! I just dont know how to act confidant because I have always been the one that gets picked on and bullied.
    amber710

Comment by amber710 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I know the feeling. I've always been one to rarely wear skirts or dresses and whenever I did I had to answer a thousand questions of "why are you wearing that?, "why are you so dressed up?" etc. Well HS was over 9 years ago now and I still never wear skirts and it's always me thinking that people will care. And I hate it. Try to get over it now, its hard, but try not to care what people think. If they don't want to be your friend cause of the way you dress then that is their problem. Life would be easier for all of us if we could just forget what other people say.

Good luck!
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would say just be yourself. You are already different, you are married with a child. I give you credit for going back and finishing school. So many young women don't. You are there to get an education, not to socialize. Sure, having friends is great but if they are not accepting you for who you are then they don't deserve to be in your life.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• totally agree with everyone else what is life without your opinion
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• That's awesome that you have a style you like. Looking back I remember the kids who did and wish I did too. I just wore jeans and a t-shirt in high school and you know why?... cause I was clueless! Someday they will all dress more professionally and have to grow up and get a style (well most) and if they bully you because you are already there then that is just them showing how immature they are. Stand straight and tall with your head up and walk right past them. Even the kids who act all confident are just insecure if they feel a need to pick on others.. just remember that.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:13 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• dress how you want
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 11:28 AM on Aug. 28, 2010

• i think that you just need to do what makes you happy... youa re the one that's leaps and bounds ahead of them... for wanting to dress nice!
    asil

Answer by asil at 4:30 PM on Aug. 28, 2010