Home Schooling Regulations

My neighbor has five kids, she's taken her kids out of school to home school them. She says she can home school them on-line for like $15 a month. Really? I've looked into home schooling when my kids were younger, it was like $2500 - 3000 a year.
Are there no regulations on home schooling? I cannot believe she can do this to her kids. My kids go to a private school, that was my choice for them. BUT I could never just pull them out of public school and say I'm home schooling them for $15 a month.
I live in Texas, so what happens they have to take the TASK test to get a depolima?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• www.k12.com

no fees in most states, and they even give out computers if you need one to be able to do it. It's online public school

what does the price matter? Is someone a better person just because they spend more money on their kids? I don't think so!

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• There are a lot of online options - here in Oklahoma we can use Virtual High School and it's free. It all depends on what your state offers. Also, it depends on the child's ages. I don't know what your state restrictions are, but there's a chance there are no required tests.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Each state has it's own laws. Private online schools are paid for by the state in AZ where we live now. Not only is the tuition free (K-12) but you also get a free laptop. I homeschoooled my kids in IN. The only law was you had to keep attendance. No laws or rules about what to cover. Teen graduated with HS diploma when parent said they graduated, no tests or GED. You can say you are homeschooling and do nothing (unschooling) and it be legal. Like it or not.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I have a nephew that attends school online. It's considered a public school in the state.. His textbooks are sent to him every year, along with: workbooks, required reading, lab supplies, art supplies...ect... He logs in online everyday, he has a class schedule, assignments, quizzes are taken at the end of each daily lesson in some courses. Test, unit exams, and finals are taken online. He also has to attend lessons much like online business meeetings all the kids log in teacher lectures, demonstrates etc : this happens at least 1x a week in each class., he also has to send items in the mail/or scan and email to show personal work.. And. He has to take the states standarized test EVERY year (instead of just 3,5,7,..ect) to show his ability, proficiency and understanding of subjects taught. (he has scored an "Excels" on every test taken). All of this.. for FREE.. Yep it's all free. He' loves it & is in advanced classes.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Ooh I like this question! I'm interested in homeschooling so I am going to visit your question again..
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• wow,I had no idea there was free on-line schools. I'd just be concerned about the child's educaiton and with no standard testing. BUT I assume the ACT/SAT will sort it out when it comes to college.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Students don't even have to take standardized tests to get into college. My kids got into all the colleges they applied to without taking the SATs. All 3 are going to college. One took the GED the others didn't. One went to Purdue and one IU.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I am bumping this so I can come back in a little bit and read the other replies
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I agree with pixie trix, she said basically what I was going to say.....

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 10:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2010