Help!! My 3 year old daughter wants nothing to do with the potty. Any suggestions?

NadiaAnn

Asked by NadiaAnn at 9:01 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I did the stickers on a chart and getting a prize for going potty...... Now, we are having a more difficult time w/our 3 1/2yr. old using the potty to go poo... But, we are slowly(VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY) making progress.......
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• You can try to spark her interest with books or movies, by letting her pick out her potty and underwear, and by pointing out all the people she knows that do go potty. In the end you can't make her. It is one big power struggle. You just have to be patient and wait for something to get her attention. You can also try praising what she will do. Even if it's just sitting on the potty with her diaper on.progress is progress. On a personal note: Don't do pull ups. I think they prolong the process. When my son was PT we did pull ups for over 9 months. I got frustrated with him only being potty trained when he was naked and started putting him in underwear. I twas a mess and I had to carry 2 sets of clean clothes everywhere we went but we were done in about 3-4 weeks. Remember she won't go to college in a diaper :0) It will click soon, keep trying.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If she wants nothing to do with it, then don't push it. She will start going on the potty when she wants to, not when you want her to. If you force her to before she is ready, then it will take longer
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Don't think of it as something you have to change-think of it as a social/developmental milestone. Let her know she is a big girl, not a baby and that big kids go potty. Tell her if she wants to be a baby, she will be treated like a baby, but that you know she is ready to be a big girl. It's a learning process and she needs some help. Encourage her the way you did when she learned to walk. Let her go in the bathroom when you go, and put a potty in there so she can sit too.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 10, 2008