What would you do? Trying not to make the selfish decision.

My husbandwas unemployed for 6 months, and finally resorted to wait tables at Denny's. Thing is, he isn't making any money! He just got his first check, and we added up that, plus all the tips he made for the week, and he is averaging $4/hr. He is gone until 6am, most days he will go to bed around 7-8 am. Meaning he is sleeping until almost the time he has to be back at work. When he is up he is horrible. To me, $4/hr, isn't worth all the new problems. If he were making more money, at least enough to support us then that would be a different story. As it is now, his whole month paycheck, we might be able to pay 1 or 2 bills and buy the necessities. To top it off, I now have girls callign my house constantly wanting him to take them to work. We have had problems with him and other women before (another long story) so I already dont trust him. SHould I ask him to quit, or deal with it? The money just isn't worth the stress

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Relationships

• Maybe he should look for another job, but not quit this one just yet. I'd not be happy about these other girls calling, either.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would have him quit, there ought to be something better he can be doing. Good Luck
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would talk it over with him. If you're still with him that would indicate that you decided to forgive him for whatever is making you doubt his fidelity, so I wouldn't jump the gun on that one unless you're given real reason to though. However, if this is making your life a misery and isn't helping financially I would consider him leaving the job, especially if you think he could get another easier/better paid/more local job.
    SarahBel

Answer by SarahBel at 9:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• since 4$ per hour is under minimum wage, if he reports that he is makeing less than minimum wage to his employer the are required by law to pay him the difference. It's hard to say if he should continue that job. Are you working? Do you make enough to support the family on your own? Why doesn't he continue looking for another job while he works at dennys?
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• It may be a struggle, but good for him for working hard to help his family. Maybe it only pays a couple of bills, but that's a couple more than were paid before. You should deal.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 9:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If his pay, including tips, does not meet minimum wage ($7.25/hour federal, may be higher depending on your state, the restaurant has to pay him the difference. He has to make at least minimum wage, legally. If he's making (or reporting, rather) less than a certain percentage of his bills in tips, then he might have some issues with auditing and such, but if it's a consistent thing, have him report his income to the HR manager or the HR contact at corporate, so he can get his due.

I know minimum wage still isn't much, but it's a heck of a lot better than $4/hour.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Never quite a job without another one lined up. Meaning already employed with another company.

DragonRiderMD also makes a very good point.

As I was saying, he should never quit a job without something lined up. If he does that then you're out of an income all together. As well, how come you don't get a part-time job or a fulltime job yourself? Don't put it all on him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• He should look for another job. It would definetly be less stressful but dont have him quit until he gets another job cuz somemoney is better than no money at all
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• something is wrong with his paycheck. take care of that. also if he works somewhere else the problem with the girls won't change it just changes the location that girls are at.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure what state you live in but my husband & I live in Arizona & he worked at Denny's in California as a waiter/server--graveyard, for almost three years. He made $9.50 an hour & an average of $25.00 in tips per/hr from 8pm-5am, 6 days a week. We actually saved up enough to buy a house on the Colorado River. HOWEVER, having a husband work in such a female-dominated workplace it is VERY scary for a wife. My husband almost started an emotional affair with one of his co-workers & I was so threatened by the situation I left him (for only 2 & 1/2 weeks)...Point being he finally realized that even though the money was great, our marriage boundaries were being crossed and while I was gone, he took the steps to find another job, which thankfully made MORE money and it gave him a company car (thank God I had my car back) and we sat down and really really REALLY talked about what makes us uncomfortable. Honesty & Communication!!
    Rathgeber3

Answer by Rathgeber3 at 10:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2010