Good decongestant? 3 yr old

My little guy has such a stuffy nose, and has been having globs of snot coming out since Sunday (tmi) I want something to help him breathe a little better and I know its just a cold nad dont want to run him to the DR ... but he keeps wiping his nose with his sleeve ... lol

bullynj

Asked by bullynj at 9:17 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Decongestants or cough meds are not recommended for children under the age of 6yrs. If you look on the bottle normally you will not even find a dosage for that age. Call you Ped and ask for advice. Sometimes just a humidifier will help out.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:19 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes you can use a decongestant for a 3 yr old, I gave my son who is also 3 some triaminic last week and he was fine. There is dosage for kids above 2 yr old on the bottle. I would also suggest a humidifier and a saline mist spray, I heard they work great.
    Amberfire82

Answer by Amberfire82 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Go to your local health food store, ask for olive leaf in liquid form, mix with a glass or like, the size of a shot. My kids beg for it when they get sick. It also gt rid of my mastice?not sure how to spell that one..lol...Anyhow it's good stuff and used for lots of things
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Sorry mix with kool aide or juice
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• My pediatrician recommended using Robitussin PE (or any other kind of expectorant) to loosen things up. You don't want to use a cough suppressant which may lead to more cases of pneumonia.
    SusanH.

Answer by SusanH. at 11:39 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• i dunno if you have dimetapp where you live, but that stuff works great...as does childrens buckleys
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2008