how do i get my toddler to stop eating so much!!!

SHe just turned 2, but for the last few months... it seems like she is never full. And i mean never!!! Her height and weight are both in line (75% for both) andshe looksand acts great. But for ex: breakfast is 1 cup of oatmeal 2 oranges and 1 cup of milk. 2 hours later- banana yogurt and orange, lunch- ham and cheese sandwich with carrots, 2hours later- chips/ random snack (pudding, jello), dinner- rice chicken veggies, milk or water, and another orange. Its a lot of food. I feed her very healthy food, but she is always hungry. Not to mention she always wants crackers or bread all of the time! Is this ok, or should i be worried?

lovinsophie

Asked by lovinsophie at 9:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't worry at all unless she become over weight. She could be going through a growth spurt, your DD knows her limits and will stop eating when she is full. She will also go through phases when you feel like she is hardly eating anything. Don't worry unless her health becomes an issue (over weight or losing weight) if she is hungry she will eat if she is full she will stop.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• I would let her eat as much as she wanted as long as it was healthly food.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• About half of the food you listed isn't healthy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:51 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• get used to it! my dd will be 3 in nov and for the past several months, she is like that, too! constantly hungry. from sun up to sun down. all i can suggest is if she finishes her meals, but still wants a snack after, try pairing a protein with a carb. like, peanut butter on whole wheat, or cheese slices with wheat thins or triscuits. and a glass of milk? try to avoid too much juice, too. that seems to stimulate the appetite.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• gailll, why arent those selections healthy? they seem really well rounded to me.
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• If she's very active she NEEDS a lot of food. I agree that you should let her eat as long as it's healthy. If you are really concerned, bring it up at your next pediatrician's appointment. :-)
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Gailll Why do you even bother us with responding? Seriously.

As for you, OP, it's good that her height weight are in line and that she's not overweight. However, if you feel that she's eating too much then simply don't feed her as much. Distract her with something else like a craft, a run around outside, or something that will keep her mind off of food. It's possible she just has a really healthy appitite, and if it's not effecting her weight then that's okay. Talk to her pediatrician and see what they think about this.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Thanks guys... it seems the general consensus is that as long as her health is good, not to worry about it. She is very active! no naps anymore. she is on the go from about 10 am to 9pm- then its lights out! we are a very active family. As for Gail... please inform me of the half that isnt healthy, maybe you know something I dont. Keep in mind, im not an idiot... so dont tell me that jello and pudding or chips arent healthy. I know that, but a kid is still a kid. So, Gail, if you have an EDUCATED answer, please fill me in!
    lovinsophie

Comment by lovinsophie (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• The oatmeal probably was flavored and with sugar. Kids don't need milk and it's linked to obesity. The yogurt is milk with sugar. Ham is processed meat with chemicals that have been linked to cancer. The bread may be processed white. Cheese has milk and fat. Pudding is milk and sugar. Jello is sugar. Chips have fat and salt. Rice is processed and isn't healthy unless it's brown rice.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Gaill is that all you are on this site for is to bash people? Everytime I see you on you bash someone some how. Oatmeal, she didn't say she put sugar in it or not and even if she did so what her child not yours. Kids do need milk to make their bones and teeth stronger. Yogurt is healthy. How do you know she doesn't use wheat bread? Rice is healthy. If you think she is such a bad mother for feeding her kids what she does then why don't you tell us what you feed your child???
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2010