• In the Spotlight:

Is my child's behavior normal?

My son is 2 1/2 and has an aggression problem towards other children. He is in a day care setting when I am at work. I am told that my child hits unprovoked with whatever is handy, he will not concentrate during story time, he has choked a child, hit an infant with a shoe...Do I need to go on? He does not display this behavior at home. He does throw the occasional temper fit, or has taken a swing at me a few times. He also does not display this behavior when we are with his cousin who is a year younger than him. We only see her about once a month. His day care provider has told me that she feels he needs medicine. I talked to a psychologist who said that 2 years old is too soon to tell anything. She also told me that if he has something such as ADD, he would be that way all the time. Does anyone have any insight?

GabesKim

Asked by GabesKim at 9:21 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your daycare worker is not a doctor. Don't listen to her. I would call your Ped with any concerns you may have. Also, you may need to find another form of discipline concerning the hitting, throwing, and chocking other kids. Sounds lke he's acting out because you are away from him.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:25 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Well, could it be that he is just not used to being there? Or that he is upset that he is away from you? I know that some kids have aggression when they leave their moms for the first time. And if you do think that it may be ADHD, I know this may sound crazy but give him about 8 ozs of Mt. Dew befre he goes to the daycare. And I am sorry, but the aggresion may not be evident everywhere. My oldest has ADHD but he is only really aggressive at home. But give the Mt. De a try and see if he calms down. And if you are worried about the sugar in regular Mt. Dew, try Diet. If it works, you will know there is a hyperactivity problem. Trust me, my oldest drinks it before school and he is clamer. And I am trying it until we can get him onmeds, if we have to,
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Based on your situation, if there is one thing I can speculate is that maybe the daycare is not providing enough adequate treatment for your child. Maybe your son might be clingy towards you as well. maybe the environment is just overwhelming. Whatever the case may be, I hereby recommend you talk with the supervisor and talk to him or her about child's behavior. both you and the supervisor might work things out together, who knows?

In the meantime, I highly recommend you visit this incredible website called Nogginpower2. One thing I learned from Nogginpower2 is that they have a great deal of Discipline, Making New Friends, Better Social Skills and Getting a good Night Sleep. These manuals from Nogginpower2 should thus aid both you and your child on learning how to deal with others, especially in the daycare. i hope this helps. Thank you and best of luck.
    paulacolls19715

Answer by paulacolls19715 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 10, 2008