Would you use a discount health plan instead of an health insurance if it was cheaper ?

SaferAtHome

Asked by SaferAtHome at 9:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have used a discount health plan because it was cheaper but in the long run it costs me an arm and a leg because it didn't cover much of anything. I was still paying out of pocket what I would have paid with private insurance plus more. Basically, it sucked. :O)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 9:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• No. While a discount plan may be cheaper for everyday things like well-baby visits, it does little or nothing for emergencies. Two years ago, my husband was in a bad accident and was in the hospital for 11 days. Without insurance, we would have lost our house. The higher monthly cost of insurace versus a disount plan helps insurance not only our physical health but our financial health as well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yeah its the emergencies those plans aren't good for. I looked into it for me and they all were outrageous for Er visits!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 10, 2008