Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

What is your suggestion about this school issue?

The teacher's were given medical psycological test on my son; diagnosed him with ADHD & PDD. I was told by the staff and principal that they were able to make accommodations for my child. Now 2 weeks in to the year, the teacher has complained about my child saying he is misbehaving. The complaints have fallen under all the listings of his condition. I also have been told by some neighborhood children that are also in his class that the teacher's yell at my child, reprimand him even when he hasn't done any wrong and announcing infront the class that she will be calling his mother. (that's embarrassing to him) Being that I have faced this type of complaints from past teacher's, all teachers want to be the one's in the right, realistically noone is always in the right even if you are the adult. How can I go about changing their tactics without making the situation worse for my child?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Answers (21)
  • hold a meeting. my SD has the same diagnosis and there are and will be teachers who don't know the appropriate ways to handle these kinds of issues. If you can hold this meeting outside of school time and make her understand how your child is feeling it may help. If it doesn't and she persists I would go over her head...

    Answer by misunderstood1 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Omgoodness. I would not put up with such behavior from my kids' teacher!!!!! WTF. They are supposed to be HELPING your child to learn better by making accomidation. If they can not handle their job, then maybe they should get a different job! I'm so sorry you have to put up with this! I would speak with the principal or director of the school about this ASAP!

    Answer by Kword at 10:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • see if you can sit in your son classroom during the week and/or see if you can help the teacher in the classroom in that way ,you will be observing your son behavior in class.

    Answer by moxiema at 10:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • More than likely if you say anything you will make things worse..your best bet is to change his teacher..or go to the school board and ask for advice on what they would plan to do..usually if you say something it always always effects the child and how the teacher treats them...for instance when i was in kindergarten my mother had spoken with the teacher about constantly picking on my weight..well one day bc i was talking she grabbed my arm and broke the skin with her finger was so hard when i got home there were purple nail marks in my arm..needless to say my mom told her and the principle off and threatened both of them..the sad part this women is still a teacher!

    Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Your best bet is to go talk to the teacher first. If the teacher is professional, they will not take it out on your child if you go talk to her/him about your concerns. The biggest recommendation I can give is to go in and be as nice as possible. If you don't feel like you get anywhere, I'd next go to the Principal. If that doesn't work, your next step is the Special Education Coordinator for your child's school.

    To prepare yourself to meet with the teacher, talk to your child and get some specifics as to how your child is being treated. Giving specific examples is important instead of just saying something general like "Why are you yelling at my child?"

    I've found in my time teaching that a lot of times the child tells part of the story. I'm not saying your child is totally at fault but at least be willing to hear the teacher's side before getting too upset. Not all teachers want to always be right.

    Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • It sounds like this woman is not a special education teacher. I have come across only ONE bad teacher in all the years my son has been in school. If you son has an IEP, use your power to insist that the school follow the modifications. If there aren't any modification for behavior, call and IEP meeting and insist on some.

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • well you could come for a surprise observation just to see what the situation is yourself. you don't have to go in the class.... stay outside the door and observe how she is treating your kid. if you see her yelling at him or doing anything inappropriate i would schedule a meeting between the principal, you and the teacher. i would probably want a different teacher though. is it a special ed class? or are they trying to mainstream him? i was a special ed teacher in hs and if the teacher isn't specifically for special ed, it might be too much for her to handle.


    Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Your state should have a 504 plan. Or something similar. It's an IEP for ADHD kids. My son had one last year. It saved his butt. Your son NEEDS one. It's state mandated, and you, him and the teachers sign it. Honestly, if I were you, I'd probably go in there with guns blazing. Not literally, but you know what I mean. Right? When the other kids are coming to you telling you this, come on. I guarantee you, his last teacher was talking about him, and this one already had a bad taste in her mouth. Also, you have the option of moving him. But don't just sit back and let this happen. If she knows you know what she's doing, hopefully she will stop. Talk with the guidance councilor first thing Monday morning about a 504 Plan. Get it. He needs it. It allows for modifications. I'm surprised they didn't bring it up already. And bring this to the principles attention as well. You are his best advocate.

    Answer by Raine2001 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • And I also do not understand why they have him diagnosed as ADHD and PDD, the ADHD behaviors usually fall under the PDD diagnosis. Do they have one listed as Primary or are they both listed under Axis I?

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

  • Raine--He would receive more accomodations under the PDD diagnosis.

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.