This is not intended as a debate, just an observation.

Have you ever noticed how Obama changes the way he speaks according to the dialect of the people he's addressing? When speaking to upper and middle class audiences & in debates, he's very proper. In cities with strong dialect, he will adjust his voice & pronunciation to those people. It's especially strong when he is in the south - he stops enunciating properly and picks up the "southern drawl" a little bit.

I actually think it's funny. If you watch videos of his different speeches you can hear it.

KDW211

Asked by KDW211 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• A lot of people do that, especially public speakers. Hell even Bush gets MORE Texan (who thought it would be possible ...) When he's in TX or the south in general. It's actually taught in a lot of public speaking classes because it's a great way to get people to identify with you. I was a bill collector for years and they also greatly encouraged it.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:38 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Obamas like a rock star and mccain is an old fogie ;)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• hmmm... I never noticed him doing that. I do agree with the PP, that alot of people do that to identify better with a specific group of people. Heck, I really dont see anything wrong with it... but hey to each his own.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Yes, it's a very common tactic. That is why Republicans like Bush and Palin say the word "nucaler" instead of the correct "nuclear". It's to appeal to the average Joe who also pronounces it incorrectly. Wouldn't you think one of Bush's advisers would have corrected him by now?... Palin may honestly not know.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:47 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I've been a Realtor for 18 years. It's common "sales" practice to become what your client is. It's called the chameleon effect. And it works. It's about winning trust, which is easy when you become them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:51 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I can understand why he does that. I work in an environment that is predominantly white and there is myself and a black guy and one Hispanic woman in the office and when I am with my coworkers that are white, I speak proper and maintain a different persona than I do when speaking with the other minorities in the office and even with them, while it is more relaxed there is still professional talk,  but definitely more different than if I was speaking with family and friends who I am just me with them and use slang if I choose or be more relaxed.

Whoistheboss

Answer by Whoistheboss at 9:54 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• Ok, I get what most of you are saying - to identify with people. And I understand how it can be an effective tactic on an individual basis, but his speeches are broadcast on tv, radio, and internet every single day, so EVERYONE can see EVERY speech he makes. I said it was funny to me because it's so OBVIOUS that he does it...therefore kind of negating the effectiveness to people like me who pay attention to that kind of thing, but like I said before, just an observation....
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• So are you saying it's a BAD thing that he does it?? I guess I don't see anything wrong with it - but just my opinion. I agree with EireLass when she said ""I've been a Realtor for 18 years. It's common "sales" practice to become what your client is. It's called the chameleon effect. And it works. It's about winning trust, which is easy when you become them. ""
    mama_of5

Answer by mama_of5 at 10:14 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I just think it's disrespectful to assume that people are so easily fooled -- that if you talk to them in their dialect you suddenly understand them better? And then go on to another group of people and adjust your manner of speech for that other group? It doesn't seem like he's trying to relate to people, more like he's being manipulative. JMO.
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I see where your coming from but when leaders go to another country they try to learn the language and customs to show them that they care enough to reach them on thier level. I don't think it should be any different for a man running for President to do his own country.

I don't think there is any deception in it...JMO.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:35 AM on Oct. 10, 2008